3

At that moment King Venes was worrying over the situation of Ithan’s neighboring country, Asand, with his vizier. Asand was being attacked by an unknown menace the people there had begun to call the “green ghosts” and blame was being placed on Ithan since there was a silent rivalry between the two countries. Asand’s King Danus had sent an ultimatum to Venes and he knew not how to respond. He had told Asand’s king over and over again that Ithan was innocent of the blood being shed in Asand, but he, nor his vizier, were believed by Danus.

            Venes stopped his troubled pacing to stare out the tall window in his council chamber at the capital city of Seliz below. He could see the people below, moving through the city. They were so small they reminded him of the miniatures he used to play with as a child. Then he suddenly felt the great weight of his responsibility bear down upon his shoulders as he realized the people below were not just mere miniatures……they were living breathing humans. Their lives depended on the decisions he made today and he did not want to be called the king of blood. He knew though that if he did not defend Ithan then it would fall to Asand because Asand was not backing down from their threat. Venes felt frustrated because he knew that if Asand could just see Ithan’s innocence then this threat could be resolved. Venes also knew, though, he must defend his land from any invasion. He must protect his people but in so doing that, he harmed innocent men and women. He did not want war, but it seemed inevitable and he disliked its taste upon his lips. He thought of his father and his grandfather and the peace they had known in their time. He little understood why Fate had chosen now to bring war to Ithan’s doors. He glared suddenly into the sun with his dark brown eyes and made up his mind. He must not shrink from his duties nor his responsibilities to his people. They would not allow Asand to cross their borders even if he himself must give his life. He turned to the table were his wise sage and vizier, Dominic, sat studying him. “We have no choice,” he said with conviction, “They will not cross our borders!”

            “As my king decrees,” the vizier spoke softly with his old gray eyes set in an unflinching gaze.

            “I know violence is always the last option of the closed-minded but if we simply surrender, Asand will cross our borders and enslave us. They will not find proof of our innocence because they refuse to believe we are innocent. There is no other choice,” Venes said, the last line with bitterness. He did not like being backed into a corner. He ran a hand through his dark brown hair. Something, Dominic noted, he had not done since he was a lad. He then continued softly, “If only your spies could have brought back word on their investigation into these ‘green ghosts‘, then we might have more options. But Danus has given us no choice and I will not let my people down. Let my knights know of my decision and ready the people with the news. We have but a month to prepare for war.”

            “Yes, my king,” Dominic said as he rose from his seat with his purple robe making a whispered shush over the marble floors.

            King Venes sighed again. “War…..of all things….over nothing, Dominic,” the king said softly turning and the light caught his face. For an instant the old sage saw the young man he had once taught. “Be honest with me, am I wise in doing this?”

            Dominic stood long in thought. It was the first time in years the king had asked him such a question. He knew his words would carry weight and that Venes would know if he did not speak honestly. So he sighed softly and suddenly felt old and tired as he rubbed his long gray beard, “My king, you have not be rash about this decision as it has weighed heavy upon you. Through your eyes I see the anguish and struggle it brings to your soul . I also know that you have always lived in the shadow of your father’s greatness, esteeming to be in his likeness. It is a hard thing to ask your people to give up the peace they have known for centuries for a war that will rip everything they have known apart. But I do not believe your people will fault you. You have tried reason and diplomacy with Asand and they have little noted nor cared. They are ripe with bitterness and aggression. You have not slept for many nights now, and you struggle with fear. It is alright to be afraid but we cannot let our fear rule us. As you have said, Asand has given us no choice and now we must act and walk without fear ruling us. We must defend, and defend alone. We must maintain our borders. We must fight with honor and caution and never forget that they are but our brothers and cousins and we must never forget to speak peace with them whenever the opportunity arises. Take heart, my king, and believe that you have made the right decision.”