21

Marion stood in the kitchen stirring the big pot of oat mash over the kitchen hearth fire wishing there was some way to convince Sandros to go to Seliz. She had this awful feeling that the sea was not where he was supposed to be. She watched the mash bubble and foam and she stirred it more vigorously then she needed to. Maybe she should just tell him the truth. She could tell him about her other sense and explain that the ocean was not where he needed to go. She then sighed knowing he would probably just look at her like she had lost her mind like everyone but Akin did. Akin was the only one who believed she had the true gift of the Gypsy Foresight, others just thought she was touched in the head. Maybe she should tell Sandros she knew about him being a slave and that she wanted to help him. No, knowing Sandros, in the short time they had been together, she already knew he would become suspicious and run as far away as he could, thinking she would turn him in.

            She suddenly had an idea. She could use her female powers of persuasion to convince him to perhaps stay in Rega…or maybe even to Seliz, she thought with a smile. She had felt the heat between them and it made her daring and bolder then she usually was around men. True, she was not shy, but when she was with Sandros she felt something special. She wasn’t sure what about Sandros made her feel like that cause truthfully they had never spent more than a few hours together with both of them conscious. He had been in a fever for two days and hadn’t even known she had existed but there was something about him she couldn’t quite put her finger on. She suddenly stopped stirring the mash and let the spoon spin itself around the pot. Surely she wasn’t falling in love with Sandros, was she? That couldn’t be possible, could it? She had barely known the man three days. No, she shook her head firmly, it wasn’t possible to fall in love with someone in just three days. She took the spoon back in hand and grabbed a few bowls out of the cabinet above the pot. No, she concluded, she was definitely not falling in love with Sandros.

            She then spooned out the mash into the bowls and came back into the open area to give the two new visitors their morning meal. She nearly dropped the bowls when she discovered Sandros was no longer there. She quickly placed them before the two men and hurried out the inn and into the street with Akin yelling behind her.