31

Just as Bethia expected to feel the death blow of the mace the black robed man on horseback was swinging her way, a miracle happened. Out of the dark sky a blood red dragon came screaming toward the black robed men that had encircled Marcus, her father, and herself. It screeched so loudly everyone in the vicinity covered their ears. It seemed to be bragging about something as if it had won a victories fight.

            “The beast’s went wild again!” one of the green robed men shouted and the other green men began to scatter in all directions.

            The black robed men stopped in their tracks and turned to the fearsome man with the scaly armor.

            “Find me Master Vade,” the man said in a low voice and the robed men split in all directions like black lighting leaving Bethia and the others feeling naked and unwanted.

            “I will finish these last few survivors off myself,” the man in black spoke as he drew a long black sword from his silver scabbard.

            “We need to go,” Marcus whispered. He had his back to Bethia’s, and Tomin had his back to theirs.

            “Aye. But just how do we do that?” Bethia asked

            “When he charges, we all go in different directions. He can’t follow us all,” Marcus said soundly.

            “No, but the one he does follow won’t make it far,” Captain Tomin said with a touch of concern in his voice.

            “Leave that to me,” Marcus said with confidence but truthfully he had no plan up his sleeve this time. All he could do was hope the black knight followed him instead of the other two.

            The black knight began his charge. “On my mark, we split,” Marcus said.

            The stranger came closer and closer till he was nearly upon them. His black horse was panting and snorting. The old pirate captain allowed a moment to slip his hand in his daughter’s and squeezed it tightly. He leaned close to her ear. “Run, an’ don’t look back.”

            Bethia turned to look into her father’s face and Marcus yelled, “Now!”