Chapter 39: Tempted with the offer

Jeremy POV

"Are you sure about this?"

I questioned them a hundred times by now. After arriving back, they all somehow manage to make an alibi for me to leave Laila. I was then brought here to their room where a lot of screens shows what was happening at the house.

At some point, Laila took out her laptop. I've been gone for about an hour now and to everyone's dismay, Laila didn't bother to check on me. They then had a plan to put a fake hickey on me and check her reaction.

"Almost done," the make-up artist said. "Okay, good to go."

I looked at the mirror and was impressed, it does look like a real hickey and very obvious. No way Laila wouldn't notice.

"We had already set up some crew to tip Laila. The rest is up to you now," the director stated.

I'm still doubtful about the whole thing but proceed nonetheless.

Once I'm back, I stopped by the door before opening it. Controlling my breathing, trying my hardest to calm down. This is probably the first time I'd be doing such a thing. I never ever had such thought of making Laila jealous the moment she was mine. I want her to feel that she's my absolute universe. But maybe, just maybe this will make things a lot clear now. If she got mad then it means that she still cares for me.

And if nothing, then I'll have to do everything. This may seem childish I know.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

After three times I finally entered. Laila was sitting on the couch typing on her laptop. She hadn't noticed I'd come back. The ingredients lay still on the table untouched since I had put them there earlier.

"Hey," I said getting her attention. I sat next to her. She seems unbothered by my presence.

"Was there an emergency?" she asked, her eyes not leaving her laptop screen as she types word after word.

"What do you mean?" I asked back.

She stopped and then looked at me. For a moment I thought I'll get yelled at but she crinkles her nose. She sniffs in the air and then leaned closer to me. I moved back a little as she smells me.

"That perfume smells familiar," her eyebrows knit as she tried to remember the smell. "I hated that kind of perfume. Too sweet and-"

Whatever she was about to say was interrupted by a knock on the door. We both got up and opened the door. My eyes widen seeing that the female staff in on our scheme was there standing. In her hand was the jacket that I had put on earlier.

"You forgot this," she said.

Laila suddenly sneezes. She then sniffs the air going towards the girl in front of us. "Did you take a bath with that perfume?"

I was shocked to hear the tone of her voice. Laila didn't bother putting on an act and asked the poor girl nicely. She stares at Laila unsure of what to say.

"Can you go now?" Laila went on full savage.

The girl left and here I was, left alone with Laila's scrutinizing gaze. I went back inside and busied myself with pretending to clear the table.

"I just washed this then-" I started but was cut off when Laila pull on my collar.

She stared at the fake hickey for a moment. I tried reading her emotions but she just put on a poker face. After what felt like an eternity of her staring she finally looked me in the eyes. "You smell just like her. This is the same colour as hers."