Chapter 34: If you showed up she'll know we put a bet on her

Jeremy POV

"Someone's in cloud nine"

I hear my friend Brian commented as he took a sit in front of me. He was looking at me funny and honestly I don't care. All I care about is that Laila is finally done with her booksigning tour.

And I'm back from my conference abroad.

Brian snap his fingers in front of my face, "Hello? Dude you are starting to look creepy."

"F*ck off Brian." I snapped at him.

The dude just laugh at me. Just then a waitress came and took our orders.

"What do you want? You know I'm busy." I said after the waitress left.

"I just missed my friend. Besides Nate is busy and far. You're the only one I got." he whined like a four years old.

I gave him a deathly glare, "Just for that? I have things to do Brian. Aren't you also running your own empire?"

He made a 'tsk' sound as he leans back in his seat. "I'm bored to death. I just want to detach myself from work. Is that bad?"

I don't know if I'll pity or straggle him to death. Just then my phone ring notifying me that someone had sent a message.

I took out my phone from my suit pocket. As soon as I saw who the sender was I can feel my lips curl into a huge grin.

I'll just see you at the restaurant later.

-Laila.

Her message was short and simple.

After what happened back in Taiwan, Laila seem to be less aggressive to me now. Before we separate I made sure that she'll promise to contact me always and tell me if there are some things going on with her. I may have used a trick, playing guilt trip on her when we had breakfast with Tan. It was a good thing that his grandmother was there also that Laila had no choice but to agree to my whim.

She is still distant but atleast now I can talk to her without her lashing out. Just a few more step and we'll be like what we are five years ago.

I'll make her love me again.

I was debating if I'll send her a message back or call her.

I'll pick you up at you house.

I typed and then hit send.

Just then I heard a snorting sound from behind me. Brian had stood up from his seat and watched me from behind.

"Just that? Aren't you even gonna call her." he commented with a teasing voice.

I glared at him as I watch him return to his seat.

"She's busy." I feigned ignorance though I know perfectly well I can't push my luck.

"Or she just won't answer your call." he taunted.

I felt provoke by his words because I that was the truth.

"I want to inform you that my girlfriend doesn't ignore my calls." I said through gritted teeth.

"Want to make a bet." he challenge.

I raise an eyebrow contemplating if I'll bite to his bait. But knowing Brian, he won't stop until he was satisfied with whatever mischief runs his brain.

Maybe Laila would answer.

I hoped that she would. I dialed her number and as I hear the ringging tone. A few seconds laters I lost. Laila didn't answer her phone.