Chapter 21: Jeremy and I are together.

Jeremy POV

What just happened?

Laila just took off. I tried to recall everything but I can't figure out what I said wrong.

"Malarkey?" Clarisse said as she entered Laila's office. "What are you doing here? Where's Laila?"

"She ran off." I simply answered.

"What do you mean ran off? What did you do this time?" She glared at me as if I had always done something wrong.

"I don't know. I just said I brought her her favorite food and that I also bought strawberries for her mom"

"You said what?" Clarisse shrieked at me. She then plopped down the chair like she was having a heart attack. "Have you forgotten that her parents are off limit topics for her."

"What are you talking about?" I'm confused with everything.

She looked at me as if I had grown two heads. "Oh God. You really don't have a clue don't you? Tell me, what is it you know about her parents?"

I thought for a minute, "Her dad passed away before we even dated. Laila only have her mom this whole time but she was sick so it forced Laila to work multiple jobs then. Of course with Laila's career now, she must have been in an okay situation now."

Clarisse stared down at me.

"She didn't tell you? So even when she was madly inlove with you, you somehow made her feel that she'll never matter! Her parents died infront of her. Her father got killed and her mother killed herself. Do you have any idea how traumatizing that was for her? She must have told you what is going on."

Her mom is dead?

My knees suddenly grew weaker. I felt like I would fall any second from what I just heard. "Her mother died?"

I tried to process the information and recall what had happened before but I can't remember Laila telling me anything.

"She didn't tell me-"

"She must have said something. Called you over and over or something." she paused lost in thoughts. She then looked at me with an expression I don't like to see.

"I remember now, you were too busy that time. You had just made a big deal from your own project that you made Laila wait. She was waiting for you but you never showed up. She was a mess, barely holding on, and the only reason she didn't kill herself was the thought of you coming. She was waiting but you never showed up and when she tried to call you didn't answer."

"But, she was fine when I came back. She was laughing and all." I mumbled, remembering anything from that time. I never had any idea it all happened.

"You are so full of yourself that you can't even notice the change in her. She had become so dull and lifeless. But you were having a great moment that you didn't notice. You made her go to parties and have her act like she's all this fine and all. You suffocate her." Clarisse stated. "I can't believe that I'll have to smack it on your face for you to know."

"That can't be true. She was happy being with me. I took good care of her." I snapped back at her. This has got to be all lies.

"But did you even once ask if she was okay? How she is doing?" Clarisse pointed out.

She's probably lying. Laila never complained before.

But if Laila was happy with you, why did she leave?

My mind yelled confusing me. I don't want to believe but it all makes sense to me.

"But it still doesn't justify why she ran away then," I told her.