Chapter 24: Laila isn't just any girl

Jeremy POV

"Tell me if there is anything you want to change in that contract."

She twirled the tip of her hair that falls on the side of her face. She avoided looking straight at me. Something must have happen because the moment we saw each other again there was that same aura she have the day I last saw her. The pain came back almost choking me as I remember that day but I controlled myself knowing she won't ever leave again.

"Let's get this clear. We'll have to pretend to be dating each other because you can't have that deal with Tan without me and you promise to help Henry get out of jail." She stated while still avoiding looking at me.

"Yes." I simply answered her.

"Then why do I have to follow whatever you say and come with you at every events. There is definitely no need for me to do that." I had to bit my lower lip as she almost figure out what am I planning.

"Tan will be at every event plus it will make it seem more realistic. Then let's not forget that stubbornness of yours so I just want for you to follow what I say." I explained while hiding the smirk forming in my lips.

"Fine but that doesn't involve me getting in bed with you!" For the first time she looked at me and though there's that irritated look on her, there is this hint of emptiness. Her eyes are reflecting a much different emotion than what she is showing.

"Is that your only request?" I asked.

"No skinship unless needed. No kissing and no invading of personal lives. You have no control over me. You're just using my name and that's it. No demanding of time." I nodded at all her request.

"Okay."

"And I need you to cooperate with my own plan to get revenge to what those people did" I can clearly see that hate in her eyes. Something I haven't seen before.

"Fine." I told her.

"And one more thing, be discreet with your cravings -" I didn't let her finish as I cut her off.

"You know me Laila. I never did such thing or will I ever. You know just how much I value loyalty." how can she even think about those things. I have never done those kind of things not even when she was gone.

"Fine. Then this contract will end the moment we both get what we want." She wrote down her name and signed the papers before passing it to me.

I did the same thing and we both stare at each other's eyes not sure if we'll shake our hands in the agreement.

"But what if you got what you want first?" I asked her.

She gave me a knowing look. "That will not be easy. As long as we both are dating in the public eyes, I will always be the target. So it will only end the moment you got what you want which is to have Tan signed that contract."

She had changed a lot. She's much more open now about her opinions and wouldn't let anyone step on her. Something I had wished she would do before but now seeing her like this makes me want to protect her more.

She's hiding much more from me and I intend to find those things out.

Laila left not long after and I head home. I had a busy day as there had been a problem with one of our warehouse. I had just finished taking a shower when my doorbell rang.

"Care to explain why the hell did Laila answered your phone before?" Brian questioned as soon as he steps foot inside my house."Don't tell me she agreed sleeping with you. Damn,I thought she's stronger than that."

"Shut up Brian."

"How the hell did that just happened. Last time I checked Laila hated your guts and wouldn't even want to see even your shadow." he continued. If it wasn't for the fact that Brian is closed to me I would have already punched him.

"You could say I got lucky."

"How? By taking advantage of Laila's situation?"

"If that's what it will take for me to have her by my side. That Monica and Tan just made the whole thing easier because now Laila thinks she's also using me and that will ease her mind. But what she doesn't know is that I'm already getting her back." I told Brian.

"You are still hang up on her. I mean, she was gone for five years and never did once I saw you have an affair with some other female species." Brian commented and I had to punch him in his arms for his last comment.

"But seriously, just look at that," he pointed at the far end. "You hadn't burned all that pictures. You kept all that along with all the things Laila got for you."

I stayed quiet. There was nothing I can say about that. Brian already knew everything but it doesn't mean he won't stop ranting it out on me.

"Jeremy, what I don't get is why you waited all these time. You could have track her back then." he pointed out.

"Laila had asked my dad to help her leave though she didn't take any money from him. She had asked him to stop me from finding her. I figure it out when I kept having a wrong information. My dad has been watching and I just thought that Laila had a reason she just can't tell. She doesn't want me to find her so I stoped knowing she'll come back." I said to him.

"And she did come back. Power of love huh?" Brian teased me.

"If you are here to annoy me then just leave." I snapped at him.

"Sorry dude. Now, the reason I'm here is to tell you I got information. Turns out the reason Henry was put in jail was not because of the accident but because he simply scolded those who talked ill about Laila and it just so happen one of them is Monica, Mortez niece. And it just so happen she hated Laila's guts ." I had no idea how he had manage to get all that information.

"Why is that?" I inquired which he replied with a his eyes rolling.

"Can't you even guess? It just so happen you cling yourself to Laila. Ofcourse there will be people jelous of her. And besides don't you remember her?" Brian told me.

"No and if I do would I care?" I said.

"Dude yes you should. You forget about your deal with Mortez and that you would take his niece out for a date."

"Why don't I remember that."

"This is what I fear. You hated losing so much that you made a deal out of just speaking of it without actually meabing anything and now you had someone's hope up just to be shattered." he pats my back as if comforting me. "It's okay dude. That is why I'm here."

"Shut up." I warned him.

Just then he received a text from someone.

"Guess your girl is already fighting her own battle. Guess I need to do my job now." he said as he gets ready to leave.

"I hope you won't let this ruin you." He warned me after a while.

"What do you mean?"

"Jeremy, lately you haven't been yourself. I just hope you know what you are doing and won't let a girl be your downfall." I can feel the genuine concern Brian has for me.

"I know what I am doing and besides, Laila isn't just any girl." I told him.

We were quiet after that. Only when my phone rang did the silence break and my suppose to be peaceful night. Ofcourse, I should have expected this call. How can I forgot about it. Brian just laugh at me knowing what is about to happen. I took a deep breath and readied my ear for what is next to come.