25~ Broken

Percy's POV

I looked over to Jason.

He was looking out the window- his head rested on his chin.

Even in the dim light from outside, I could see the many glistening tear trails tracing his cheek.

I swallowed and turned my head back to the road.

He always pretends he's OK- he stays strong for me.

And he doesn't have to- he shouldn't have to.

Yet he does.

The engine hummed quietly- the only noise in the otherwise silent vehicle.

I placed my hand on his thigh- in an attempt to let him know he's not alone if anything.

He flinched.

"Jase- I'm so sorry" I muttered, removing my hand.

"No-" he grabbed my hand and placed it back on his leg "I'm sorry"

"It's not your fault"

He scoffed "I'm 23 years old Perce. I shouldn't be this scared"

"Everyone gets scared sometimes," I said "And that's OK"

"But it's not sometimes. It's all the damn time"

"Jase-"

"I'm scared of the dark Percy. Of the fucking dark," his voice wobbled as he spoke.

He's about to cry

"And i- I can't take it anymore" his voice cracked as he spoke and for the first time, I saw just how emotionally vulnerable he was.

I heard him stifle a sob as he slapped his hand to his mouth.

I looked over to him. His eyes were wide, new tears slowly running down his face.

I sighed "It's OK Jase. We can talk at home. Get some rest"

He didn't say anything- instead turning his back to me and curling up in his seat.

I smiled sadly to myself as I flicked the blinker and slowly turned off the motorway- heading back home.

Jason's POV

I felt myself jolted awake- my mind unable to continue the nightmare that was playing like a film inside my head.

I looked around at my unfamiliar surroundings.

I felt my cheeks- they were wet.

Tears

After a while, my eyes finally adjusted to the dark and I realised I was in bed.

I didn't go to sleep here...?

I finally noticed the flashing clock in the corner, reading a quarter to four.

I yawned and rolled over in the bed, reaching my arms out to hug Percy.

I was met by an empty space.

I shot up.

"Percy?" I asked, quietly.

Nothing.

"Percy?!"

I could feel myself panicking.

All of a sudden the dark became a lot darker.

Sinister shadows crept along the wall, glaring at me.

I curled into a ball in the centre of the bed- my arms wrapped around myself as I tried to control my breathing.