ruby gillis

after being gone for a few years i have finally decided to came back home, to avonlea.

being gilbert blythes sister was, well let's just say a weird experience. people would often make assumptions that we were together, just because we would hold hands. but it's normal between us, a sibling thing we do.

they assume only because of handholding and pecks on the cheek we were together which would make me gag every time.

"you make such a great couple." a passerbyer says as we see her walking away.
"ewwwww." i say once she out of earshot.
"hey i'm not that ugly"
"but your my brother that's disgusting to even think about" i say shuddering a bit as we make our way to school.

i walk into the schoolhouse, gilbert by my side holding my hand to ease my nerves. "don't worry everything will be alright i'll be across the room if you need anything." he says as he takes his coat and hat off. "i just feel nervous is all thanks for everything."

i walk with gilbert into the classroom immediately feeling all eyes on us. we depart and go to opposite sides of the room, i take a seat at an empty desk. as i go and take a seat, i see a group of girls walk over to me.

"you should know, ruby has liked gilbert for years and has dibs on him so you shouldn't talk to him."
a blonde says getting straight to her point.

i let out a forced laugh, "you're joking right? what makes you think i'm going to stop talking to my brother?" i ask although i know they mean no harm.

"gilbert has a sister?" the short girl asks.

"yes, hi i'm y/n blythe."  i laugh trying to relieve the tension.

"oh my we are so sorry." a red head speaks up from next to them.

"it's fine i guess, anyways who are you people, i need names." i say smiling at each one of them.

"well i'm anne this is diana, josie, tillie, jane and ruby." the red head speaks again a sincere smile etched on her face.

"well this has been an interesting first impression see you guys later." i say as i stand up and walk towards my brother before class begins. i sit down beside him and lay my head on the table, exhaustion seeping in.

"rough first day?
"yes." i lift my head back up and look at the boys their eyes already fixated on me. "hi i'm y/n blythe." i say hoping to at least make some friends.

"billy andrews"
"charlie sloane"
"moody spurgeon"
they all say at once.
"hold your horses one at a time." i laugh looking over at my brother whose rolling his eyes. he's always been overprotective of me. "guys what did i say. she's off limits."

"oh come on don't do this to me i just want to get to know them." i say winking towards the boys. "i can tell we're going to be great friends." we make casual conversation until who i assume the teacher comes in. i make my way over to the other side of the classroom only to be stopped.

"and who may you be?"

"i'm y/n blythe, sir."

"since it seems you are getting along quite well with the boys, why don't you sit with them." i scoff at his silliness and i grab my stuff and sit besides gilbert again.

happy?

i give him a smile rolling my eyes once his back is turned away from me.

"open you readers to page 28."

class drags on for a while with the extremely boring lesson until it is time for lunch.

i grab my food and sit with gilbert outside against a tree.