Words Better Left Unsaid (Priscilla Andrews)

In all my years in Avonlea I hadn't once attended a wedding. It was just my luck that the first one I was to attend was Prissy's. She and Mr. Phillips were going to be married. Just the idea of it months ago would have had me bawling my eyes out in my pillow. But I had grown used to the thought of losing her, and although it still pained me she seemed to have really wanted it. Who was I to get in the way of her happiness?

All I would have to do now was to begin removing her from my heart. But she made it difficult to do so.

So when she ran off leaving Mr. Phillips at the altar hope bloomed inside me that I had to ignore in chase of her. As I reached her side the smile etched on her face was enough to have me smiling back at her. She began to laugh and the sound of it had me doing the same.

Even months after the incident, it seemed that her decision was for the best. Although some would have disagreed.

"How did you feel when you got engaged?" I asked her and from the way she stiffened I knew I had struck a nerve. Months later and the topic was still a sore subject to talk about. Unconsciously I found her hand and held it beneath mine as I murmured apologies.

"I felt ecstatic," she told me dismissing my words. I supposed I would have felt the same if I thought it was the right person. But it wasn't the right person so I didn't. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason." At the look on my face she knew to drop the topic and squeezed my hand gently, unaware of how that small gesture made my heartbeat pick up.

Deciding it was best to break the silence I spoke about the rumors that were going around. Apparently we were to have a new teacher, a woman. And from what I've heard, she was a case.

"Mother didn't like her," Prissy said and I could only wonder what she had done to get on her mother's bad side.

"If she's better than Mr. Phillips I won't mind," At one of the girls response to Prissy I looked to see her reaction. Her smile dimmed and she couldn't meet my eyes.

"Jane what do you think?" I had asked the question to fill the silence and only when she spoke did I turn to see Prissy again. She had been looking right back at me for comfort as I saw her eyes glaze over.

But as the door opened I moved my eyes to see the teacher coming in, unaware of how close we had gotten.

~~~

Even as the school day ended I could tell that Prissy had still been thinking of Anne's words from earlier. To clear her head of any negativity I strode to her side and wrapped my arm around her. Taken by surprise she went to push me away until she saw who it was. With a small laugh she stepped in closer and we walked towards her house.

It had become our tradition to walk to hers and spend the day together. But now, with my parents constantly on my back, it was an escape. With a skip in my step I went on about anything that popped up in my mind. Even if she did comment on my uncharacteristic behavior.

"When my parents heard of Miss Stacey you would have thought it was the end of the world. They were downright shocked." Laughing at my words I felt her move away to look at me. It came to no surprise at how her smile affected me in ways not much did.

"I believe it alright ," she began. Pulling even farther away from me as she took my hand in hers and continued, "What I don't believe is how worse your parents are than mine."

Her words held the truth. After all my complaints, the picture she had of them had been how I had viewed them. Controlling and heartless.

And it wasn't an exaggeration. Ever since I was deemed old enough to get married they were quick to search for suitors. They had told me only last week that they found a suitable man to have me married off to. We were to meet before the wedding and I constantly tried putting it off. I had no say in the wedding and if I had a choice I would have run away. Although it seemed over the top it was my only opportunity to have my freedom. Who known maybe I could find love and spend the rest of my life with them in isolation.