Soul Searching (Jerry Baynard)

I didn't doubt their efforts in trying to set me up with the perfect guy but I was getting tired of all their attempts. They had all thought I had been single for too long and were spending their time searching for a new suitor. So I made sure to tell them even if they were going to brush my words aside and tell me they knew better for me than I did.

But I would have to forget that as we were going back home. The following morning we were off to Avonlea after finishing a year in Queens. It had seemed so long since I'd been in Avonlea and when I got off the train it came to no surprise I was engulfed by my parents.

I returned their embrace and looked back to find Anne by my side. They exchanged greetings and as I told them they could head home and that I would meet them later. It didn't pass me the look of disappointment on their faces but they conceded. I took Anne's hand in mine steering her the way home.

The rest of the girls were nowhere in sight and I had guessed they went home so as the two of us walked off we went to Anne's. There was no reason to except that we lived close by each other. Another reason was to see a certain farm boy, Jerry. If he was still there.

"I'm so nervous they don't know I get back today," she admitted nervously I could feel the nerves radiating off of her. I squeezed her hand tightly as she took a breath in.

"You didn't tell them?" I asked her stopping midstep for an explanation. I saw as she averted her eyes and we continued.

"I wanted it to be a surprise," she said with a smile.
"Besides if they don't know Jerry doesn't and he'll be happy to see you."

"It has been a long time," I said ignoring her words. I didn't need to raise my hopes for the impossible.

"A friend of mine asked me to set the two of you up?" She began, changing the subject, and I rolled my eyes at her attempts shaking my head for her to see.

Just as we arrived at her home I heard a call of her name in question and knew Jerry was waiting for us. At the sound of her name I saw as the Cuthberts ran to approach her and I stepped off to the side.

"When did you get back?" I heard Jerry ask by my ear. I started and looked at Jerry who had a broad grin on his face.

"Just now," I answered returning the smile. I watched Anne hug Miss Cuthbert and they started crying. Feeling like I was disturbing I took another step back into Jerry. "I'm sorry."

I felt his arms take a hold of me to keep me balanced and I thanked him. Without my volition, I felt my heart began to pick up and I cursed at myself.

"Are you alright?" He asked sensing my attention slipping. I nodded in response and looked around to see we were the only ones out here.

"Would you care to catch me up on the gossip?" I asked composing myself. His laugh left his lips and I made myself righten up as I felt my knees begin to buckle. No single person should make anyone feel this way. This was only ever in fiction.

~~~

As I woke up I rushed down the stairs and saw my mother setting up the table. Helping her out I kissed her on the cheek and headed for the parlour room where I saw my father reading from the Newspaper.

"You look well kiddo," he said not taking his eyes away from the paper. I shrugged my shoulders and knew he wouldn't see the motion.

"I am," I answered as there was a knock on the door. It was too early for any visitors or had I slept in?

"Get the door will you?" I heard from the kitchen and I stood up to find the girls on the other side of the door.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as she was pushed inside by Josie.