Something More (Billy Andrews)

Jane liked to complain that I spent more time with her brother than I did with her. So to annoy her and to get her to quit complaining I officially announced that he was my best friend. To say she was mad was an understatement. But she soon got over it. Billy, on the other hand, liked to brag about it, so it made her even more annoyed. And that annoyance was aimed towards her brother. It made them both insufferable at times, but I had to put up with it.

I walked alongside Billy after class was dismissed hoping to convince him to wait for Jane. Through all his efforts to convince me otherwise, he stopped protesting the idea and he gave in. We stood waiting outside of the building for her and the moment that I laid eyes on her I started laughing. With a skip in her step, she twirled around and walked toward us. He rolled his eyes at her approach and I watched her in amusement. I could always count on her to put a smile on my face.

"Thanks for waiting," she said taking my arm in hers and completely ignoring her brother. I smiled at that as she led me away and walked in the direction of her house. Whenever I could I would spend time with her to study or hang out. It was difficult when I had to arrange time for Billy because my parents would make an even bigger deal out of it. So I didn't mention him when I had told them I would be spending time at a friend's house. "So I was thinking when we get home we could go to my room and finish our homework but after–"

"She's doing homework with me," Billy interrupted and I was left to handle the two of them as usual. Before they could utter another word I held my hands up and stopped walking. They've long since learned not to speak whenever I made the gesture. Begrudgingly they kept their mouths closed because they knew deep down there was no point in arguing.

"We'll all be doing our homework together, that's what we discussed," I said leaving no room for argument. They both sighed as once again we began our walk to their house. I could hear them both mutter incoherent words but ignored them as I spoke my thoughts.

As their house was in view I ran ahead of them without a word and knocked on the door. I could only hope Prissy would answer it. I hadn't seen her in what felt like ages and missed her dearly. My wishes were heard because as soon as the door opened I caught sight of my favorite Andrews. But I would never tell Jane or Billy that.

She hadn't been expecting it but I engulfed her in a hug and pulled away quickly as she led me to the parlor room. I didn't even hear the sound of the door opening and closing as Jane and Billy walked in. I was too busy talking to Prissy to notice. But the looks on their faces spoke volumes. Rarely did they spend time together and the time they did spend together was in their words, a time they'd never get back.

"Thanks for ditching us," Jane said in a very sarcastic tone. I met her eyes with a smile on my face. Turning back to face Prissy I rummaged through my basket feeling around for whatever I needed. She had changed and I took every opportunity to point it out to her. It was a good change, she seemed more sure of herself.

"I hope you know I've missed you, your siblings have been driving me up the walls," I told her quietly which had her laughing. The words were meant to reach her ears only, but Jane and Billy managed to overhear. They looked at me in offense, and all I could offer was a self-conscious smile.

"I'll leave you to do your homework I'll be in my room if you need me," she let a hand brush my hair as she walked by and I frowned. Looking down I saw that I needed all the help I could get seeing as I hadn't finished even one assignment.

I heard as Jane and Billy sat down wondering what took them so long to do so. They sat down on the couch beside the one I was sitting on as they spit out words at each other. I didn't bother to try and split them apart and let them carry on. My tactic seemed to work as they sat on opposite ends of the couch. "Now that that's over can one of you help me with math?"