Strangers to Friends (Ruby Gillis)

Requested by that_simp3

Ruby had barged into my room just as I was getting ready to leave. Looking up at her curiously she didn't say a word. "Did you want something?"

I finished tidying up my bed and sat down knowing there were a few minutes left before classes would start. On our first day at Queens and I was still nervous. Even if I did have time to adjust.

She sat down beside me and I could feel the nerves radiating off of her. From the way, she bounced her leg up and down avoiding eye contact. Inhaling a deep breath I patiently waited for her to say whatever was on her mind. "I don't know if I can do this."

"It will be fine you'll have us all by your side." And by all, I meant all our friends. I was glad Diana had changed her mind, it wouldn't have been the same without her. And as if on cue she walked in through the open door. "Let's get breakfast before class?"

Diana rushed to take my hands as well as the offer and led us downstairs. We were met by the rest of the girls and I linked my arm with Jane and Tillie as they walked past. "Do you think we'll have the same classes?"

I looked at Tillie as she asked the question. Turning my head to look at Jane if she would answer she shrugged. "Probably not."

"But if we don't promise you'll still make time for us," I said pleadingly. They could tell I was being serious in a joking manner but they nodded either way. I smiled at their response and we had made it to the dining hall.

Everyone was already sitting and we took our seats wherever we could find. I sat in between Jane and Tillie. I could see Ruby walking our way taking slow steps as she sat across from me. She was acting strange and I had reason to believe it was far more than she was leading on.

She met my eyes and I narrowed them at her as the girls talked amongst themselves about their worries. "I'm fine."

It was like she knew what I was going to ask. But from the expression on my face, it was obvious. Before I could ask another question there was a call at the front of the room. Everyone had turned their heads and they were calling our names for schedules.

I took in a nervous breath-holding Jane's hand under mine for assurance. When her name was called up I let it go and waited for mine. It wasn't until the end that I heard it. It was almost embarrassing but I didn't let it phase me knowing everyone would be too busy eloping at their schedules to look at me.

Taking my seat I reviews my schedule and it was snatched away from me before I could finish reading it. Looking up I saw Josie intently looking it over as she handed me hers. It was apparent that was what she was doing with everyone else's. "I don't have any classes with you."

That was kind of a relief. But I wouldn't have admitted it.

"Looks like we have all classes together," Jane squealed and I was glad for that. At least that was something I would look forward to. "And a few with Tillie too."

"What about you Anne?" Diana asked as the redhead stayed silent. It wasn't normal for her to stay quiet for so long. "Anne?"

"I have two classes with Ruby and the some with you. I don't know about the rest of you."

"We'll find out eventually," Josie said and I looked at Ruby once more. She had her eyes on her paper and I leaned in closer. She was comparing hers with mine.

"We don't have any together."

"Doesn't mean you won't see me around."

~~~

That wasn't the case.

I hadn't seen her once since that day. And it had been two weeks since classes had started. I had been spending time with Jane as she spent her days in my room. It was a good thing I didn't have a roommate. Otherwise, we would have been a nuisance to her.