Right Timing (Billy Andrews)

Requested by gxldenbutera

After days of planning, I had finally arrived at Avonlea. To say it was a long trip was an understatement and it was especially even more difficult traveling alone from Australia. Considering my mother didn't want to visit let alone see my father again. Because that was all he was to her. But I could empathize with her feelings of resentment.

But she had already gotten rid of every last memory of him, besides me of course, and my last name. Phillips, she never cared much for it anyway. But I was glad she didn't turn those feelings of hatred onto me.

Getting off of the train I took out the piece of paper my mother told me to carry. On it, were instructions on how to find him but I thought it was easier to follow the crowd. I did hear people talking about a Christmas pantomime.

And if he was there that would be great. If he wasn't I would at least enjoy the show.

But I didn't do that. Instead, I waited.

Waited for everyone to enter in hopes I would catch a glimpse of him. Because from what I heard he was going to be here. But I never saw him, and I was too anxious to walk in there on my own.

Instead, I stood out in the cold and saw someone my age approach me. I knew it was only to enter through the door but I was glad at their appearance. Stopping them in their tracks I stepped in front of them and asked, "Do you know where I might find Ted Phillips?"

Instead of answering my question, he asked one of his own. "Who are you?"

"Why does that matter?" I asked, careful not to roll my eyes. Otherwise, he might have walked away from the disrespect.

"Because I've never seen you around here before." His tone of voice stayed steady with an ounce of suspicion as he looked me up and down.

"I'm his daughter," I said and he met my eyes again. His mouth fell open and he furrowed his brows without a word from his mouth. "Now will you please tell me where to find him?"

"Wait here," He says holding up a finger. He doesn't say another word as he enters with a rush. I take a step back from the wall wondering what I was going to say once I saw him again. I waited patiently.

It seemed like all I did was wait.

With every passing second, my thoughts clouded my mind, which was the only source of sound.

That was until I heard a door opening. The volume inside got louder as I watched my dad come out. To say the least, this wasn't what I expected him to look like when I saw him again. He stopped in his step and I heard the door slam shut. I fiddled with my gloves and smiled hesitantly. I could see the look of disbelief on his face as he squinted his eyes to get a better look at me.

Stepping closer to close the distance I waited for an opening and embraced him in a hug. I could feel the hesitance when he didn't hug back right away. But after some time I felt his arms around me. My heart was beating out of my chest with nerves and relief of seeing him again.

"I missed you so much," I said with tears in my eyes. When I thought of it I didn't know how I'd have reacted but this wasn't what I expected.

The hug lasted longer than what we were both comfortable with before we stepped away from each other. He held me in his arms still as I examined his features.

I didn't doubt in my mind he was doing it to me too. It had been four years and a lot had changed within that time.

Just as I was going to ask him a question I heard a voice. It was calling out his name. He turned around and I could see a girl not much older than me. He looked back at me perplexed before shifting his eyes toward her. I smiled at her in hopes she could tell from the look in my eyes I wanted privacy. Either she didn't care or didn't notice as she called his name out again, receiving his full attention as he let go of me.