A Moth To A Flame (Cole Mackenzie)

Requested by arianISmine

I wasted no time in getting up and out of the house. Because if I did I would be even mor epate than I currently was. Taking quick strides I felt my heart beat quicken with my pace. It only calmed down once I made a stop in front of the schoolhouse.

Looking around to see where Anne was I gave up with no luck and headed inside. Seeing her in her seat I approached her and muttered a quick apology. "You were supposed to meet me half an hour ago."

"You can't blame her, besides it should be expected," Jane supplied and I looked at her with an offended look which she only laughed off. "Which was why you told her to get here earlier than us all, so technically she's on time."

I gasped once more in offense and looked at the girls who had made their way over me. Each one of them looked away as if that automatically didn't make them part of the conversation. But Anne laughed honestly and my eyes shifted over to her. Rolling my eyes I muttered a few incoherent words to their ears and dismissed the situation with a shake of my head. And suddenly everyone, just like that, forgot about it and moved on.

As we moved to copy each other's homework I snatched Ruby's paper from under her and ignored the sound of frustration she made. They had more than enough time before I arrived to have started and I was falling behind. "Does anyone know the answer—"

"Having trouble with your homework?" I knew that voice and it was enough to make my body stiffen. I couldn't move as I closed my eyes in utter horror at what punishment I might have to face. I could hear his footsteps and nothing else in the room as he walked to stand in front of me. As I opened my eyes a set my paper down and the only thing I could do was laugh. "Copying your friends homework?"

If I lied to him he would know. But if I told him the truth I would have to risk getting the girls in trouble. So I stayed silent under his eyes. "If I catch you again there will be consequences."

I wasn't sure why he let me go but as I followed him with my eyes I could see him approaching Prissy. I didn't know why they were still so secretive if they couldn't have made it more obvious. The whole town might as well have known. I let out a sigh as I handed Ruby back her paper. I took a seat beside Anne and let my head hit the desk. "This day could not get worse."

"It is still morning." Even if they couldn't see it I rolled my eyes, not appreciating what she had just said. It was like they were unaware of how I was feeling, even as I was showing it.

I looked up and at Anne. "Mister Phillips is not going to cut me some slack after that."

As I finished speaking I saw Prissy walk by and knew Mister Phillips was not far behind. Getting up and out of Anne's space I headed to my desk with a final wave and was glad to make it in time before he walked in.

Looking around to see what I had to take out my eyes instinctively went to the new face in the classroom. I couldn't take my eyes off of him as I scanned his features. I turned to look away before I got caught but it was too late by then. I was only glad he didn't find my staring weird as he offered me a smile. "His name is Cole if you're wondering."

I heard Anne's voice, but a whisper in my ear, and nodded in acknowledgment as I took out my slate and chalk. I was glad to put a name to the face.

Getting rid of that thought I took a breath and got ready for the lesson. Usually I wouldn't have paid attention but after Mister Phillips earlier I wouldn't take that chance.

-

Class went by without a hitch and I couldn't help but notice it was goin by quicker than usual. And I was fortunate for that as I couldn't keep up with the words spewing out of the teachers mouth. Nor understand the math he had written down on the board.