Courtship (Charlie Sloane)

Requested by krayyzoom

Last nights reading was difficult and not in the way I had thought it would be. It was like every word I had read I absorbed only for it to disappear without a trace. I might as well not have done the reading, it only took hours of my sleep from me. And it was all for nothing.

Just as I had made it to class I set my book down to reread in hopes I would process the information. If not I could always ask one of my friends before class had begun. Although I could only rely on Anne for that.

But just as I sat down I felt something was off. I stiffened in my seat with a gulp of regret I hadn't stayed home today. I groaned in frustration. This was not my day.

I closed my eyes for a moment hoping i had been mistaken. But if I got up from my seat I would be able to tell. Anyone would be able to tell, so I was glad in that moment that there were only a few people who had made it to school. And that my friends were walking toward me.

Stopping at my desk with concerned looks I began packing subtly so as to not draw attention to myself. No one would care but I was self conscious. Making them lean in closer I whispered, "I think I started my period."

"What are you going to do?" They crowded around me for privacy. I shrugged my shoulders in response. Knowing that if I stayed there would be an incident so humiliating it would ruin my school experience. But if I left I would have to explain it to Mister Phillips. Thankfully he wasn't here so I had time to decide whether or not to go home.

And just as I had made my decision Charlie came up to us. Had it not been he was looking at me I wouldn't have known who he was there for. The girls parted giving us space but not moving any further. They stayed so they could hear us.

He looked at them nervously before clearing his throat. "Can I talk to you?"

I shook my head yes but he was waiting for something. I had thought it was for my friends to leave but I didn't want that. "What did you want to talk about?"

With each passing second I wanted anything but to be here. But I couldn't very well leave. Not when Charlie was talking to me. "I–wanted to see if you needed help with the reading."

I could tell that that was not what he was here to talk about. But I responded either way with a shake of my head. "I'm alright thank you."

He smiled at me sheepishly and walked away with hesitance as my friends turned to look at me. They could see it plain as day, and I had begun to as well. "It's so obvious he likes you."

I smiled at the thought before remembering I had to leave. Picking up my things I stood up slowly and was in the clear when I saw Tillie nod at me. Now all I had to do was go home and relax. But I knew better than that.

I would still have to do the homework. Mister Phillips wasn't so lenient on that no matter what the excuse was. So as they walked with me outside I hugged them goodbye and watched as they entered the classroom. Making sure I had everything with me I walked home.

~~~

I had missed class for three days and as usual at the sound of the knock on the door I expected to see my friends. What I did not expect was to see Charlie.

I widened my eyes in surprise at the sight of him. Hiding behind the door to cover up because I was only in my night gown. I wouldn't have minded it it were the girls. But boys, I was self conscious around, especially Charlie.

Considering my crush for him I thought would go nowhere.

Hoping my mother would hear the sound of his voice as he spoke I waited for her footsteps. Sure enough the quick strife in them lead her to the door. With a kind smile she gestured for Charlie to enter and I escaped to my room to change.