Matchmaker (Billy Andrews)

If there was one thing I learned from being friends with Ruby it was that I had to be patient. But it seemed my patience was running out as once again she set to redo her hair. I understood her nervousness as it was our first day back at school from break. But even so, I slapped her hands away and took to doing her hair and tied the bow.

With a grateful smile I let out a relieved sigh and we walked to school. It wouldn't be surprising if we were late, but as we walked through the doors of the classroom we found the room full of chatter and the teacher nowhere to be seen.

"I told you there was no reason to worry," she said as she took her seat. I stood by and looked down at her but she didn't cower under my stare.

"Maybe if you hadn't noticed she's always worrying about the tiniest of things," Josie said as she placed a hand on my shoulder taking my side. She let her hand fall to her side as she sent me a smile saying, "If you spent the amount of time you do worrying as you did paying attention to the boys around you you'd be in a relationship already."

"Is that all you can talk about, boys?" I asked following her figure as she took her seat by Ruby. I raised an eyebrow and said, "Not a very interesting topic is it?"

"We're back in school you have to consider options," she answered her eyes sliding across the room. I looked to Ruby for an answer but she too had her eyes set on the opposite side of the room. Turning back to face me Josie said,"Unless you're waiting for Queens."

It was then a ball was heard against the wall flying near my head. Flinching I opened my eyes and looked at Billy. Because it would be Billy.

I walked a few steps toward where the ball had landed and picked it up, gently throwing it his way with a roll of my eyes. "Next time watch where you aim."

"My thought exactly," Miss Stacey said making my head turn. I gave Billy a smug smile as she stared him down. "Shall we get started?"

As I moved to my seat I felt someone take a hold of my hand and from the cold touch, I met Billy's eyes. "I'm sorry can you find it in yourself to forgive me?"

With a scoff, I shook his hand off as I felt the touch of parchment in my palm. Curiously I met his eyes and his lips tugged upward into a smile ridding the pout on his lips.

Sitting beside my desk mate I pulled myself together even as the butterflies erupted in my stomach. No matter how much I convinced myself otherwise he still made my heart pick up. Regardless of how he was.

I felt a nudge on my side as the girl sat beside me nodded toward the front. The teacher's eyes were on me waiting expectantly for something, but I had no idea what it was she wanted.

"Can you summarize the reading I assigned?" Letting out a relieved sigh I went into an explanation as my cheeks cooled from embarrassment. She paced down the front of the class as she said, "To get a better understanding I'm going to have you do some partner work you'll rotate seats when I tell you."

Explaining the instructions I sat as I discussed the reading with Alice.

Those of us sat by the windows, like I was, were to stay seated as those near the aisle were to rotate partners.

I found myself sat with Billy after a few turns and watched as his eyes wandered to the desk. It was uncharacteristic of him to act nervous so I started to speak.

"Anything you want to add?" I finished, watching him closely for any sign that he had been listening. It was there his eyebrows rose and he smiled at me as he shook his head.