Prologue

CHINZARA POV

CHINZARA POV

I looked around at my circle of friends, my brothers and sisters in this journey: Bahiti, who supported me in my family line mission, my best friends Hototo and Che'Tima, my brothers at arms and most trusted guardians of time and treasure, Kachina, our spirit dancer and shaman, and Tocho, the bravest and strongest of us all, guarding the door though he truly had no reason. We had trained to live this life, unknowing if finishing this quest would be ours like generations for before us. It seems we are the blessed. We are the ones, and I was grateful for every one of these people.

"This is truly a day we have hoped for." I said. "When my fathers and mothers of generations past told the story of our travel to this place, and their mission and the ones before, I hoped as they hoped that one day we would see peace again, life again."

"Are you sure, Chinzara?" Bahiti asked, her eyes blinking with uncertainty. "She has not stirred, there is no sign from her."

"Tell them, Che'Tima," I nodded. "Tell them what you saw in the city."

Che'Tima sat up straight in his chair and cleared his throat. "I saw a great pool that holds the power to revive the dead."

"What did you see on the--the--"

"Camera?" Kachina finished. She had studied the ways of the modern world well, and though I recognized objects, I frequently forgot names.

"Yes, what did it say--" I shook my head. "show you?"

"One being pushed the dead into the water," Che'Tima nodded. "Then one used a machine and enchanted the water. Finally one ran and made lightning, touched the water, and the man rose to the skies...not to the heavens, but alive."

We were quiet and looking at each other. I could see hope and uncertainty in each of them. I had to make the decision.

"We are going to try," I nodded. "Summon the warriors of the canyon. The time has come."

"Should we tell Napana?" Chinzira asked.

"No." I answered quickly.

"His family line has also been loyal--"

"Not to our Isis," I said, trying not to get angry. "not to our goddess."

"He may go to the counsel--"

"We are not going to Canyon Counsel." I told them. They sat in shocked silence.

"But, why?"

"I have no desire to attempt to bring back Sethos." I told them. "He was a king and a tyrant. He did not use his powers to help but to hurt our people."

"When do we leave?"

"Immediately." I rose from my chair, and all rose with me. "Make the preparations." I went up the ladder to the hidden room at the top of the rock dome pyramid to the sarcophagus that held our Isis.

She was still quite beautiful, her body maintained by sun. We focused mirrors so that the light would travel down to her, sustain her. We changed the angle at summer and winter before, but I had Che'Tima and Hototo check the angles every day to give her the most light, the most rays of sun. Goddess of Darkness she might be, but she was also Goddess of Light and Life, craving it. I reached out over her face, but did not touch her, I did not dare. But I silently, mentally, adored her.

I knelt as usual and bowed my head. "No reading today, no running the computer so you can listen to all that goes on in our world, how we need you." I raised my eyes to her profile. "I believe I have found a way to bring you back. Soon you will rise and all will be well."

I climbed up a rope, higher to the top of the pyramid, carved of rock and stone. I crawled out and sat looking over this place that remained secret for so many years. Entire societies remained hidden here in the Grand Canyon, as it is called now, but the name of Isis and her temple never changed. Her followers, descendants of her most trusted servants, still remained.

"Soon

"Soon." I prayed the one word, looking over the majesty that hid her majesty. Soon the years of devotion would be culminated and rewarded. Soon someone would fight for not the New World, or the Old World, but maybe the Cradle that will change the entire thing. "Soon."