Chapter 31

(Amber's POV)

I didn't expect anything different when I returned to Slade's discreet hideout mansion.

Here's something I should have learned long before I turned into a vampire: Always expect the unexpected.

As soon as I stepped foot inside the house, his hands grabbed a hold of my wrists too tightly, and I felt the burns deep to my very bones.

I didn't have the will power to hold back a scream, so I let out several, blood curdling, horror movie screams. Even though my wrists healed, I still felt the indescribable burning, as if it were coursing throughout my entire body. I could die in a second because of what I am. Vampires are vulnerable to fire. Slade could easily set me on fire and end me as easy as one, two, three.

But that's how incredibly stupid I was to not see it. I had the perfected instincts, the new abilities, but no common sense to use them against Slade. I should have been able to see that he could easily kill me even if I did try to use my abilities. But no, here I was, starting off a cold blooded killer, then a humanity filled demon, now the stupidest person on the planet.

"Where were you?" he asked, grabbing a tight, tourniquet hold of my neck, lifting me about two feet into the air. Hell, he was stronger than I was because of Trigon, Raven's father. I was wrong. I thought I was the higher power because of what I turned into. But when Karma comes for you, you tend to realize a lot of things.

Slade being able to kill me was one of them.

"I w-went out for a d-drink," I stuttered out, making my eyes as convincing as possible.

"You are a dirty little liar." I screamed as the never ending burning sensation started up at the base of my throat.

"Where. Were. You!?" He repeated, slower this time. I gasped for a decent breath, a whisper of clean, flesh scented-free air, but nothing decent came. Only the scent of my burning flesh.

"I was stalking the Titans!" I lied, using my desperation for air to make me sound much more afraid. After about five more seconds of raw burning, and my near decapitation, Slade dropped me. I clutched at my throat, taking deep breaths of air to calm down.

"That's my girl," he commented, clearly amused by my lie, "But here's a new lesson that you obviously need."

I clenched my jaw, and used my feet to scurry backwards as I was still on the ground. Pathetic as it was, I wasn't thinking about my abilities and using them at this moment. I was afraid, and my humanity wasn't making it any easier for me. I was officially very vulnerable, and horrified, as if I were still somewhat of a human.

"Next time, you address me when you leave." He crouched down to my level, and gripped my face in the tightest iron grip I've ever felt. My vision went black instantly as my neck was broken with a sharp twist.

(Robin's POV)

We'll be together again, Robin. I promise...

My eyes shot open.

The infirmary's white ceiling greeted me, telling me to examine my surroundings. My muscles ached as I tried to sit up, so I scanned everything around me with my masked eyes.

Raven smiled slightly, relieved to see me awake. Wait...awake? What happened?

"Raven, what-"

"You collapsed, Robin. Cyborg and I examined you and it turns out you had a lot going on. Dehydration, major stress, deprivation. You could have died, Robin."

Whoa. How could that have happened?

"How?" My voice was raspier than usual.

"We're guessing your grieving process is a lot more complex. You held in so much that it took its toll on your body," she sighed. I sighed, being reminded of the girl I've been missing for what seemed like forever, the girl I was hurting over.