Chapter 14

(Robin's POV)

The presence beside us easily blended into the dark. I caught a glimpse of a pale cheek, as the lightning flashed again.

She suddenly reached her shaky hand and roughly grabbed Beast Boy's shoulder. Her hair fell all over her face as she whispered loudly into his ear. Her breathing was deep and constant, like she just finished running for her life. 

"Are you scared?" her raspy voice literally scratched into his ears.

Beast Boy was so terrified he could only nod.

Her loud breathing suddenly came to an abrupt halt, and her movement ceased.

Her hair fell behind her, and her eyes suddenly lit up like fire. Cyborg, Starfire, and Beast Boy screamed for their lives. Raven of all people was even surprised, with widened eyes as proof. 

I could only sit back and wonder why her eyes were - 

"Amber?" I wondered aloud. She looked towards me and smirked, then blurred over towards the darkness. The lights suddenly turned on. I looked over towards the light switch and saw Amber, dressed in black. Her eyes showed amusement, with the rest of her face composed with a trademark faint smile.

"I heard what sounded like a horror movie when I came in through the garage. Given this weather, I figured I showed up at the right time," she smirked, scanning all of us with intent eyes.

Cyborg pulled her into a huge hug. "I'm just glad it was you and not a real dead girl, Little Lady," he twirled her around, relieved.

She was set down, looking right over at Beast Boy, "Sorry, BB."

"It's okay, Raven's scared me more than you just did," Beast Boy joked, earning an annoyed stare from Raven. 

"Friend! How enlightening it is to see you!" Starfire hugged her tight, catching Amber by surprise. She winced slightly, taking a deep breath in the process. I pretended not to notice by smiling and keeping my face as calm and collected as I could. 

"Raven," Amber smiled at her. 

Raven grinned back, and hid back in her cloak, "Nice timing. You actually got me there." 

Amber smirked, "I learn from the best," gesturing towards Raven herself. Her smirk faded as I was the last person she would interact with.

She faced me, with a calm, composed face, "Robin, I'm so-" she started.

I pulled her into a constricting embrace, as tightly as I could hold on to her without hurting her. Something in me stirred - I was allowing myself to show affection in front of the team. I felt warmth in my chest and stomach, and relief in my arms. This felt nice, but I wasn't adapted to this sort of gesture.

"You don't need to apologize. I'm sorry for the way I treated you. Please forgive me," I found myself saying into her ear. 

I felt Amber tremble in my arms as she nodded into my chest, causing me to hold on a little more tightly. 

As I pulled away, I took her appearance in, observing her features to find some sort of emotion shining through the walls she placed. I then noticed her eyes were bloodshot, and quite noticeably too. 

Most of the area around her eye color was red, as if she endured several punches straight to the eyes...Wait a minute-

"Amber....Why are your eyes so bloodshot?" I asked her seriously. She opened her mouth to speak but the sound of a timer filled the entire living room.

(Amber's POV)

I turned towards Robin and looked up into his mask. He looked expectant, waiting for something to come out of my mouth.