Chapter 22

(Amber's POV)

I stayed up for the next three days or so, trying to connect the dots, running on fumes with my lack of sleep. 

I even went so far as to risk another mental episode by digging into Slade's box of leftovers. 

Newspapers, newspapers. 

An article. 

A face. 

Anything. 

My search became frantic. I still haven't slept. Quite frankly, I was ready to collapse anywhere and let my overworked brain rest for a bit.

I couldn't give up just yet. I rummaged through everything I could think of. Then another idea hit me.

Robin's room. It was a perfect idea. He has plenty of newspapers to go around...

 ~

I was in the living room, alone, searching Slade on the main computer. I was looking for as much as I could find. However, Slade's work was a riddle on its own. I tried a few different terms, and I came up with what I needed. Article after article after article, I read, absorbing the clues I needed to figure out the mess I was now deeply involved in. 

It seemed to ring a bell. I know I've heard it somewhere. But the question is...Where?

As I searched deeper into his history, I felt my eyes widen at the information that suddenly clicked. 

No...no. This can't be it. They can't be. So that's what's been happening all this time.

One thing I knew for sure, was that Robin and my friends will not find out any of this newfound information, not until I get the whole story. Knowing me, I could end up getting myself into major trouble if I dig too deep.

Better I get into trouble than them.

(Robin's POV)

I heard commotion in the living room when I woke up. As my senses sharpened, I could have sworn I heard Amber growl in anger. I ran into the living room to see the main computer on, but nothing in particular on it except the usual tower security system. 

Weird...

My ears picked up on activity in the gym, so I followed, interested in what my girlfriend was up to. I walked in through the automatic door to see her sparring with the punching bag. Not only was she sparring with it, she was using a battle staff too. Her moves were sharp and quick, very precise. I became infatuated with her movements and I stood there like an idiot.

~

Her beautiful, saturated honey brown eyes were boring themselves into my masked ones.

"Earth to Robin? Hellllloooooo?" I snapped out of it and saw her cock her head slightly to the side, smiling innocently at me. I stepped forward and held her tightly in my arms, kissing her forehead.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She pulled away and examined my features. She knew I felt tense. But I was only feeling this way because I sensed something was wrong.

"Something's wrong," I started. It was showing in her eyes, something felt completely off today...

"What is it?" Amber's voice became tense. She thought something was wrong with me, but I could tell she was hiding something and trying to get her mind off of it.

"Amber, what were you searching on the main computer?"

Her eyes showed concern and guilt. She answered anyway, "Well, after what happened with the guy who attacked us at the pier, I felt like I needed to research anything about everything in that area. I had to be thorough."