Chapter 6

All five pairs of eyes stared me down, demanding answers.

"What's going on?" Robin began. 

I sighed internally, shaking my head. This isn't going to be easy.

"I know you all probably don't trust me much, and I understand that. I can see you all mean well for the safety of the city and each other. Please heed my warning," I begged.

Everyone's faces contorted into overwhelming confusion and concern.

"Who's after you?" Robin asked. 

"Someone you don't want to meet."

I sprinted and flew off into the distance, heading towards the middle of Jump City.

(Robin's POV)

I could feel the fear she tried so hard to mask. She's truly afraid.

As the team and I descended into the living room, Raven spoke up. 

"We can't trust her. This is suspicious behavior and it seems she's involved with something dangerous. Someone can get hurt."

"She's got a point, there Robin. Amber just got here yesterday. She's hiding something big from us, and if she's on the wrong side of the tracks we're going to have to turn her in," Cyborg agreed. 

"She's not a bad guy! What's with you guys putting up judgment!?" Beast Boy stepped in. 

Starfire whimpered slightly and spoke up. "Friends, she means no harm. Amber is protecting us from this threat she spoke of."

"Guys," I started, feeling my voice firm and strike, "neither of us should be saying anything. Remember how messy everything was when Slade showed up?" 

Nobody dared to fire back, allowing me to continue, "She has intention to protect us. You all heard her, she told us to stay inside. She knows she has to explain what's going on. It's obvious she's running from someone. Didn't you guys see what she went through after she took down Cinderblock?"

I noticed she seemed a bit hesitant talking about Clark and Kara, but Clark in particular.

What happened before she arrived to Jump City?

(Amber's POV)

As I made it to the middle of the city, I spotted Lex about fifty feet away, on the roof top of a building. His back was to me, so I'm guessing he was expecting me here.

I tried to be as quiet as possible, but it still didn't work. Even for a human in an exoskeleton suit, Lex still heard my foot steps.

"Amber! What a joy to finally see you again," he said with a smirk. A very blood boiling smirk.

"You attacked Superman and I two days ago. Calm yourself," I retorted sarcastically.

He smiled a big smile, and it only made me angrier. "What do you want? There's nothing for you here. So why don't you just pack up and go home before I throw you there!?" I started to lose it a bit.

"Dear, what I want is for you to stop resisting and join me." That was all he said, and I completely lost my temper.

"What part of 'NO' do you not understand!? There's no good reason for me to join you. To the public you're a man of generosity, a man of knowledge, but I know the truth, and I will expose you. Now LEAVE!" I snarled.

By then, I was breathing heavily, and slowly, because I was wasting my energy on resistance. I didn't want that life. I didn't want anything more right now than to feel and be safe.