Chapter 16

Author's Note. Please read:

I decided to use Teen Titans' episode 31, which is called "Haunted" as the chapter. Of course, considering it's a fan fiction, the dialogue and some parts will be changed.

I hope this chapter comes to mind and you can understand later on in the story as to why I felt the need to write this one the way I did. Watch out, this is a LONG one. Chapter 17 will be the second part to my version of "Haunted". 

(Amber's POV)

We spent the next few days digging.

The two of us joined forces to make sure Slade was really gone for good. However, something in me felt uncertain - I knew that I had frozen him, and left him at a police station, but still, something didn't feel right. 

It was late tonight. The sky was a royal, cobalt blue, fading into a deep black navy as I peered through the glass occasionally. Thick, charcoal clouds blanketed the sky, and hid the pearl crescent moon. It's going to rain tonight.

I held in a yawn, silently scolding myself for not making coffee. 

Beast Boy's silk worm, originally created by Killer Moth, was snoring somewhere in the house, enough for my ears to pick up. Silly Beast Boy. Sooner or later someone will find out about that silk worm...

Robin and I sat together, researching anything involving Slade in silence. 

We both stared at different camera views of the city, examining every little movement for Slade. As I was falling deeper into concentration, a door opened in the hall behind us, catching my attention. With the footsteps alone I knew Cyborg was there.

I turned around, nodding my head at him in acknowledgement. 

"You guys still up?" he asked with a yawn. He walked over to us to get filled in on what was going on.

"We've got work to do," Robin spoke seriously, referring to myself and him. 

"Well, whatever you're looking for, it's probably asleep, like the two of you should be," Cyborg scolded lightly as he started walking back to the hall.

He pressed his robotic hand against the hand scanner on the wall, "Lock down initiating. Goodnight guys," he walked back to his room.

The silence filled the room again, and my thoughts were sharpened with clarity.

"We should head down to the basement, Robin. Slade's evidence box could have something that can clue us in, just to make sure he's gone," I suggested. He nodded sharply, and jumped out of his seat, walking towards the basement. I followed in sync.

It was completely dark down here, as I remembered from the few trips I made. Robin was in the lead, and found Slade's box almost immediately, when I fessed up about its location.

 We took a knee just as he opened the box, revealing bits of broken weapons and some junk of Slade's. The most noticeable, and somewhat intimidating item in the box, was his mask. I shivered slightly in fear, remembering the night that I fought him.

I could have told Robin what happened with Slade - It was beginning to bother me to keep something regarding Slade hidden. 

Robin must have noticed my attention towards the mask too, because he picked it up quite roughly and gripped it with both hands. Dust spread out into the air around us, making us cough profoundly. I really felt the dust get into me, and it hurt. I felt like bugs were crawling in me.

As we calmed down, the lights suddenly flashed on with the loud thud of a switch. I sharply turned around, only to see Cyborg at the light switch. He had a serious, stern look on his face, as if he were scolding us like children.