Chapter 38

(Amber's POV)

I'm dead.

I remember feeling the weight on my chest and shoulders drop. The war was over, and I could finally rest.

When people refer to the term "Rest in Paradise", it's really meant to happen in the afterlife.

I lay on velvety smooth ground, most likely sand or grass. The amount of comfort I was feeling at the moment made me feel as if I were on my bed.

I wasn't alone. Here, I lay in the arms of the one person I admit missing since I lost my way.

Robin.

I was too comfortable to leave, too infatuated with everything here to go anywhere else. I was free, and I didn't care. I knew my friends would survive without me. Everything would be alright, so why would anyone mourn for me?

As I lay in Robin's arms, I stared at the night sky, which was completely covered in different sizes of brightly lit stars. I was in a dream, a dream that was so amazing it was too great to be considered reality.

"You know, you'll have to move at some point while we're here," Robin commented, chuckling at my defiance to stir an inch. In his arms, I was completely comfortable. In his arms, I was really home.

"Nope. Too comfy," I whispered, pecking him on his cheek. He kissed my forehead and cheeks, delicately holding my face as he took his time to plant a deep kiss on my lips.

As he broke the kiss, and played with my hair, the next thing he said caught me off guard. 

"You have to go, Amber." 

"Go where? I belong here, I'm fine here, with you," I disagreed, pulling away to get a better look at his face. Robin was clearly serious. 

"You're not dead, Amber. This is where you come to recharge before going back. You just have to wake up," he said softly, kissing my forehead.

"Robin, can't you see? I'm dead! That's why I'm here!" I argued loudly, standing up, watching him as he stood with me. He was eerily calm, and to be honest, it scared me. The Robin I knew wasn't always this calm. 

"No. You're not dead. This is where you come to find your way back. We're waiting for you."

"I'm dead!!!" I yelled, staring up at the sky. However, the starry night sky didn't look the same. All the stars began to fade away, one by one.

Could I be imagining things? Sleeping? Am I dead or am I really just asleep?

Somewhere, not too far away, I could suddenly hear the voices echoing loudly throughout the scene before me. I began walking towards them, trying to get a better sense of who the voices belonged to.

"How long has it been?"

"It's been over six hours. We got all those ultraviolet probes out of her."

"What about the burns she endured?"

"I got to her in time. If she would have been standing in the sun a second longer she would have  turned into ash."

"Then why isn't she waking up!?" The most familiar voice was becoming very urgent, worried for the subject being discussed.

"She was practically dead when she collapsed. She'll wake up, Robin. She just needs time."

"Uh, dudes, did you forget Amber's a vampire? How is she gonna survive when she wakes up? She'll need-"

Robin. Cyborg. Beast Boy. They were discussing me. Where's Raven and Starfire? Hold on. Robin was here with me. I wonder where he's-