7th August, 2026

Usually the sun was the thing that woke Dylan up in the mornings but for some reason he was feeling extra tired and when he felt it hit his face he just groaned and dug his face in his pillow. The idea of even just five more minutes of sleep was farfetched though and a few seconds later he was awakened by his bed bouncing up and down. He didn’t even have to open his eyes to see who is was.

“Alex, stop.” Dylan mumbled turning over and trying to ignore how much his bed was shaking. He groaned when the shaking didn’t stop and turned to grab the hand of the person that was causing all the raucous. He smiled and his heart swelled when they started giggling.

“Daddy, stop.” The little boy whined when his father started tickling his ribs.

“Are you gonna stop jumping on the bed?” Dylan asked propping himself up with his elbows and looking down at his son.

His son.

After all that happened to him he never expected that his life would actually turn out to be good. The summer of 2014 was the worst of his life and his life sorta of went downhill from there but somewhere along the way, he started living again and things started working out. What shocked him more was the fact that he was going to be thirty in a few weeks.

“Daddy, did you hear me?” His son asked pulling Dylan out of his trance.

“What’s that buddy?” Dylan asked sitting up with his back against the headboard, finally giving up on the idea of a little extra sleep.

“Are we gonna go see grandma today?”

“Mommy is gonna go see her. You and I are going somewhere else.”

“But I wanna go see grandma. She has cookies.” The six-year old said and Dylan smiled at him.

“We can go after if you want.” He answered taking the smiling boy in his arms and walking out the room. “Where’s your mommy?” He asked going down the stairs. He already knew the answer but he just felt like asking because he liked talking to his son. It was six years and it hadn’t quite sunken it yet that he had a family. If anyone had told him ten years ago that this was going to happen he would’ve probably laughed and called them crazy.

“She’s in the kitchen.”

“Morning, Jazz!” Dylan said chirpily as he walked into the kitchen. Alex started squirming in his arms and he put him on his feet and laughed as he ran into the living room. He walked up to Jasmine and hugged her waist. He kissed her neck and placed his chin on her shoulder.

“Morning Dylan.” She said turning around to face him. She circled her arms around his neck and smiled at him. “You ready for today?”

“Yeah.” He sighed tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “I think I am. Better now than never.”

“Are you sure? I mean you cried like a baby when you took me.” She said laughing at the memory and Dylan rolled his eyes. “You don’t have to do it today.”

“I did not cry like a baby.” Dylan mumbled leaning in to kiss her briefly.

“Yeah, you did. I think it’s cute though.” Dylan smirked and raised an eyebrow at her.

Cute? Do people our age still say that?”

“Hey! I’m not that old. Shut up.” She said laughing. “But I’m serious Dylan. You don’t have to rush to do this. Alex isn’t going anywhere. You can always do this when he’s older.”

“I think we both know I can’t do that.” Dylan whispered going to sit at the table. “If I’ve learnt anything it’s not to put important things off. Besides, I want him to know about the girl who saved his father’s life. I want him to know the origin of his name.”