Chapter Eight

Alex's POV

It took a good ten minutes but I eventually fell asleep. It didn't bother me as much as I thought though; Dylan and Ashley. I think I was finally letting go of the idea that something was going to happen between us. But I was okay with it you know? At the end of it all Dylan was my best friend and I got to know stuff about him that none of his girlfriends knew and knowing Dylan; his wife probably won't know half the stuff I knew about him. I rolled over and checked my phone for the time. I saw a text from Caleb and smiled before I even opened it. I sat up and opened the message and smiled when I read it.

~ Hey pool side buddy! How was the night with the bitter bff? ~

~ Dylan's tongue wrestling buddy called him last night so I just went to sleep. How was yours? ~

~ Filled with tons of homework. I have a lot to do before I leave. ~

~ And you were texting me so much last night? ~

~ Meh... it was worth it. What are you doing today? ~

~ Uh, going to school... ~

~ lol I meant after school. ~

~ Oh, idk. Dylan and I are probably just going to hang out later. ~

~ So when will I get to see you? ~

~ Probably this weekend :P ~

~ :-O ~

~ Give you enough time to miss me. Look, I gotta get ready for school, ttyl? ~

~ I'm already at school. ~

~ Private school sucks. Laters. ~

When I looked over Dylan was nowhere to be seen. I didn't even notice him slip out. I quickly showered, shoved my homework in my bag and headed downstairs. "Dylan tells me you have a new boyfriend." My mom said when I sat down at the table. I glared at Dylan.

"He's not my boyfriend mom. He's just this guy who decided to keep me company when my best friend ditched me to stick his tongue down Ashley Green's throat." My mother turned and smiled at Dylan.

"Alex!! That was not fair."  I raised my eyebrow at him.

"I still love you Dylan. If we don't leave now, we'll be late." He got up and started clearing the table.

"Dylan, leave it. I'll get to that; you need to get to school." I bent down and gave my mom and kiss on the cheek.

"Love you, when I get home I'll tell you about this guy."

"So, did anyone do the reading on Ben Franklin?" I looked around the class; not a soul was paying attention to this woman. It was no surprise she didn't get a single A last semester.

"Okay, fine, I guess I'll just tell you. Today we'll talk about the Junto. Now, in 1727, Benjamin Franklin created the Junto. This was basically a discussion group for dealing issues that were prevalent at that time..."

"Psst, Alex?" Dylan whispered in my ear. I leaned back. "What?"

"Look at Craig’s eyebrows; they're drawn on. And they’re really uneven." I choked on my laughter causing Ms. Craig to look right at me.

"Is there something you want to share with the rest of the class Ms. Lanchester?"

"Is she trying to raise her eyebrows at you? She should've thought about moments like these before she shaved them off." Dylan was still whispering in my ear. I bit my lip to stifle my laugh and shook my head.

"I thought so. Now as I was saying; Franklin conceived the idea of a subscription library, which would pool the funds of the members to buy books for all to read. This, class, was the official birth of the Library Company of Philadelphia and he himself hired the first American librarian; a man by the name of Louis Timothee."