Chapter Two

His shoulders slumped as he let go of the breath he'd been holding. "Alexis Lanchester, did that just happen?"

I looked at him and thought for the millionth time that I needed to get a hold of myself because the Alex and Dylan love story would never happen. Ever. I mean, I had a few relationships before and in each of them I'd think 'Yes! I'm finally over this eternal and cliché crush I had on my best friend’. I looked at Dylan and he had the same look in his eyes that I have whenever I thought there was a sliver of hope for us.

"Did what just happen? You wanna know what just happened? You mean aside from how you just completely looked like an ass?" The kick I got from Dylan told me what he thought of that statement.

"Screw you." I shrugged.

"You're welcome to. But seriously though, you looked like an ass. Well, you looked more like a, um, I'm looking for a better word but ass is all I've got."

Dylan rolled his eyes at me. "Forget it Alex, I don't know what you have against her seriously. She a great girl."

I laughed, "If by great you mean full of shit and plastic then yeah, she's a great girl."

Dylan frowned at me, "What's your deal? She dated one of your exes or something?"

He grabbed the pudding from my tray. Before he could eat it though, I grabbed it from him and slammed it on the table, squashing it in the process. "Look, now neither of us will get to eat it."

I didn't want the damn pudding anyway. "No Dylan, as far as I know she hasn't been with any of my exes. But even if, that's not the problem. Don't you think it’s a little cliché that you have a thing for the hottest girl in the school who happens to be, surprise, surprise; a skanky whore." The minute it left my mouth and the hurt puppy dog look Dylan was sporting didn't make me feel any better.

"Skanky whore? Skanky whore!?! Who the hell are you to be going around judging people, huh? You're literally the last person I thought would do something like that! I happen to really, really dig Ashley. She's a lady, she dresses nice. You could actually take a few hints from her on how to act like a frigging girl!"

I looked down at my Chuck Taylor's, shorts, tank and oversized red plaid shirt. "How to act like a girl!?! Look, I'm sorry my priority isn't standing in the mirror and painting my face to look like come circus freak! The way I look hasn't stopped me from getting dates in the past and last time I checked, you weren't even remotely interested in me. So why the hell do you care?"

Dylan looked crushed but I didn't give a shit. "Look Alex, I didn't mean it like that. It's just that we're getting older and trust me; the whole semi tomboy act is a turn on for most guys but you've got to grow up. I'm just trying to help you." I shook my head and stood up from the table.

"Look, I really appreciate the effort but I don't need your help. The female Alexis Lanchester is gonna come out when she's good and ready." I turned and walked a few steps before turning and walking back to the table. "Oh, and just in case this wasn't obvious, you can go get your socks and beanies yourself." I adjusted the strap on my bag and made my way out the cafeteria and to the parking lot.

I spent five minutes looking for my car before I remembered Dylan drove me to school that day. "Shit." I said and made my way to the library. It was time to get my nerd on. When I got in the library I sat at a table in the furthest corner and plugged my headphones and started writing. I wanted to be a writer and I was working on another story. This one was coming along pretty well because I was using personal experiences for inspiration.

***

At some point I moved my stuff and went to sit on the floor between the shelves all the way to the back of the library because I didn't want to be disturbed. I was so in the zone I barely noticed my phone light up. I pulled out my headphones and read the name on my phone. 'Mom' I checked my watch; ‘5:45’. How the hell did it get so late?