Chapter Sixteen

Alex’s POV

“I'm so sorry. I don’t know why I did that. Can we forget it happened?” Dylan said when he was done kissing me.

Yeah, kissing me.

I nodded and smiled at him. “Forget what happened?” I said smiling at him.

He returned the smile and we made our way back to the table and just talked until it was time to do home.

“What are you doing for the summer?” Dylan asked when we were at my door. “Nothing.”

“Do you want to come the summer cottage?” He asked nervously?

“Why?”

“I want you to. It would be just like old times.”

"All of a sudden?"

"I have no one to go with Alex. Besides we always go together."

"It's because Ashley can't go with you right?"

"Can I just please have my best friend there with me? Like I said; it would be just like old times."

I smiled and nodded.

“Fine Dylan I’ll go with you. When do you want to leave?”

“I’ll come pick you up tomorrow morning and we’ll drive up there.”

“Sure, I’ll see you. Goodnight Alex.”

There was a painful silence before he nodded, awkwardly hugged me and turned away. I stood on the porch and waited until he drove off to go inside.

This was going to be a very interesting summer.  

 *** 

Dylan's POV

We’d been at the summer cottage for two weeks and it was painfully awkward because even though I suggested we forget the kiss that happened it hung between us like Judas hung from a tree when he killed himself.

One night Alex and I were on the couch watching re-runs of Friends when everything changed.

"Why did you invite me here?" Alex asked all of a sudden.

"Huh?" I asked without my eyes leaving the small TV screen in front me.

"Why did you invite me here?" I looked at her and she had a determined look on her face.

"Uh, because you're my best friend and we always spend summer here."

"No Dylan. Don't feed me shit. We both know, you even said so yourself; you were gonna ask Ashley to spend the summer here with you."

"Ashley broke up with me."

"So, I'm just door number two then?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you ignored and embarrassed your best friend when she warned you about Ashley. Then, when Ashley up and left you turn to her."

"It's not like that Alex..."

"Dylan, I'm tired of having to clean up after everyone's mess."

"Alright, now you're starting to sound like a fortune cookie. English please." She sighed and ran her hands through her hair.

I still hadn't believed she cut it so short.

"I mean I'm tired of warning you, you completely doing the opposite then, when everything goes wrong, I have to help clean up the mess."