30th December, 2017

Okay.. hi.

I'm at the beginning of an update so this must be importnt. Just pay attention to the date sweetoe pies.

***

30th December, 2017

Dylan smiled and buried his head into his book to hide the blush that had crept up to his cheeks. He looked up again and his heart skipped a beat when she laughed at something her friend was saying. She adjusted the strap on her shoulder and turned around. Dylan’s eyes widened when her eyes landed on him and he dropped his head and pretended he was studying.

The last thing he wasn’t was for her to think he was like some pervert who only stared at her from behind tress or garbage cans. She was taking a few of his courses and they’d spoken to each other a few times before but Dylan still didn’t want her thinking he was some weirdo; because he wasn’t. He glanced up again and was surprised to see that she was still looking in her direction. He raised both his eyebrows at her and she put a hand over her mouth and gave him a small wave before turning back to her friend.

Dylan smirked and focused his attention back to the notes he had spread out in front of him. He was studying for his last final before he could go back home. Sometimes, he hated the fact that he’s transferred to a college in another state because it was further away from everyone and everything he was comfortable with. He knew it was the right decision because he was offered way more opportunities here and it was what was best. He’s also met Jasmine here so everything worked out but he just hated being this far away from home. He missed fishing with his dad and he missed Ms. Lanchester’s cookies.

“Hey, Dyl.” He heard a voice say and his head snapped up just in time to see Jasmine slide in the seat across from him. She smiled sweetly at him and he returned it.

“Hey, Jazz.” He said and she frowned at him.

“Jazz?” She said in a questioning tone and Dylan’s eyes widened because he thought he’d said something wrong.

“I-uh.” He started and she raised an eyebrow at him, only making him more nervous. “Um... I uh. I j-just thought... I dunno. It was a nickname?”

“Hmm.” She said taking a few books out her bag. “Jazz.” She said slowly letting the name roll off her tongue . “I think I like it.”

“Yeah?”  Dylan asked excitedly leaning over the table. His elbows were on his text book and his chin was in his palms. Jasmine giggled and nodded, sending her short red hair flying all over.

“Yeah. I was kinda getting tired of plain ole Jasmine. I like Jazz; it’s a cool change.” She said slowly tucking some of her hair behind her ear, revealing three piercings in her right ear.

“Cool piercings.” Dylan said pointing to her ear. He remembered Alex had wanted a cartilage piercing but her mother hadn’t wanted her to get one. His smiled faded a bit when he remembered her. It didn’t hurt as much as it did a few years ago. He was never truly going to get over her death but he was learning, day by day, how to deal with it. He had kept the promise he made to Alex, the night he visited her grave, just before he actually started going to his classes. He was going to live, even if he didn’t want to. He was going to live because Alex was going to get that opportunity. Before he was living just because it was what Alex would have wanted but somewhere along the line, he’d actually started living for himself and he was beginning to live because he wanted to and he was happy again... to some extent.

“Dylan?” Jasmine asked waving a hand in front his face. He snapped out of his trance and looked at her wide eyed. She had a concerned look on her face. “Are you still here?”