Chapter 40

Riding in a cab to the celebration dinner with Felicity made me feel... mundane- but in the best way possible. It was nice to finally feel normal for a change. Clearly, I knew I wasn't normal by any circumstances... but couldn't I pretend for a moment?

I walked in with my sister after the rest of the team had already settled down in their seats. Oliver had reserved the entire rooftop seating for the group, which went to prove again how nice it was to have so much money.

My eyes immediately locked on to Oliver, who was already smiling at me through his deep blue eyes. In fear of letting my cheeks turn more red than they already had, I diverted my attention to the empty seat across from Oliver.

Does Diggle still, like... hate me or whatever? I questioned silently before taking my seat beside John. He offered me a brief, but welcoming smile. Awkward...

The food didn't take long to reach the table after everyone ordered- "Thank God! I am starving!" Felicity cheered, rubbing her hands together energetically in preparation for her food's arrival.

The dinner became quiet for me- Oliver talked to everyone who spoke to him, and no one seemed to spark a conversation with me, not that I was complaining. Occasionally, I shared a quick glance with Oliver from across the table. Mostly, however, I stuck to my dinner and observed the conversations.

"Y/N, can I talk to you?" Diggle finally asked after everyone had gotten up; he pulled me to the side discretely. "Listen, I might not agree with anything the League stands for... but Sara is in it, too."

I let my eyes squint half-way from confusion before waiting to see what he had to say next. "Maybe I misjudged you... I mean, Oliver trusts you, so I think I may be able to learn to trust you." Diggle looked past my shoulder to see Oliver having a good time saying goodbye to everyone, "I've never seen him this happy... He deserves it." He looked back at me, "If you can give him the happiness he deserves, then I am glad you are part of this team regardless who you were."

I smiled slightly, "Thank you, John..."

I followed Diggle back to the group, where Oliver was holding two champagne glasses- one for him, one for me. "I have something to tell everyone-" He began; I accepted the glass curiously.

"When I first started my crusade I wanted to be alone. One by one, each of you in some way or another joined in and become part of something more- a team. The truth is, we won back our city because I wasn't alone. And now..."

Oliver turned his head to me with a smile, "I ask that all of you watch over this city while we are gone."

Oh... so this is when he is deciding to make up his mind...

"What? Where are you going?" Sara asked. Oliver put his relaxed attention on her, "Somewhere far from here."

I examined the looks on everyone's faces, although Diggle seemed to already know what Oliver had to say. I guess he already talked to Diggle?

"I feel that Starling City is safe in the hands of this team. I don't know how long we will be gone, but always know I am a call away." He assured. "We're... It's going to be weird..." Roy stuttered, maybe trying to find words.

He's right... we can't leave this city, especially after a threat like Slade. Oh, God... how stupid am I to think me and Oli could have a life together somewhere far from this city of pain?

He said he can't have his hood while also having me... Maybe I can't have mine either and still have him...

Felicity took a step forward, "Oliver, you have done so much for this city... so much for us. We will do everything in our power while you are away; you deserve this...." She lifted her glass, "To Team Arrow-"

"To Team Arrow!" Me, and everyone else repeated before clinking the glasses.

Or... Maybe this can work... I thought, seeing the team smiling individually as if time were in slow motion. You make me happy, Oliver... I said to him only in my mind as the two of us walked towards his convertible car. He opened and shut the door for me.

It's funny... I know we've only used the word once, but I have never been more sure when it comes to how I feel about you- I love you. I offered a smile to Oliver when he noticed me looking at him for a prolonged time. I noticed him tilt his head slightly and squint his eyes, but he didn't ask... and I didn't tell.

Everything I know goes against this- us. Echo told me never to get attached or our enemies will use that connection to tear us down... Wells taught me that you can never have the ones who you desire most. Even you... you taught me that we can't have the lives that we have while also having one another....

The car growled to life before zipping out onto the open roads. Oliver had one hand on the steering wheel and the other resting gently on my thigh.

I know you think you're giving up the hood for me, but I think deep down we both know it's an illusion- an oasis.

"So... Where are we going?" I asked in a hopeless attempt to silence my thoughts. "You'll see." He responded.

Maybe they were all wrong... maybe the one person who truly understands happiness is the girl who is denied love- Nyssa Al Ghul. I recalled when Nyssa sat on the rooftop bar with me after closing, talking about why she came back to Starling City to clear her mind.

"Can I say something strange?" Oliver finally asked after we were both on the Pacific Coast Highway.

I gave him a "hm," but it was along with Nyssa's words in my head: 'Home is where the heart is.'

"I'm happy." Oliver admitted with a smile. I unintentionally smiled wide back at him.

I don't know where we are going- I don't care. All I do know is it is home if he is there with me.

"I could say the same thing."