Chapter 1

-Central City -1 year ago-

"All I feel like I can say is that I feel like I've waited for this day for centuries..."

Pride and anticipation rose up inside of me as I listened to my genius boss project his voice to the whole team. For a moment, I felt true happiness; everything the team and I had worked so hard on paid off for just a few minutes. Wow, it was like hitting a jackpot in our field. After everything, the entire world could finally see science through completely new eyes.

I remember spacing out of Dr. Well's victory speech, which was one thing I have always regretted... I would love to remember how happy and proud he was that day. I looked around at all of the faces from the team that had so graciously accepted me when I needed a job. Caitlin and Ronnie, the power-couple... No force on Earth could pull those two apart. Cisco, oh sweet Cisco, he was always building something new on the side- even up to the day we turned that Particle Accelerator on.

"Ladies and gentlemen,... We did it!" Dr. Wells exclaimed, being followed by an eruption of claps.

I can still remember the largest smile on Harrison Wells' face as he popped that champagne bottle; the one he supposedly bought when he got the idea for the Accelerator. Just as much as that smile was burned into my brain, so was the memory of how quickly it faded when the drink started to unnaturally float from the bottle, defying any laws of gravity.

For a moment, everyone in the room fell deathly silent, focusing the attention on the drink before gravity seemed to have remembered what it was there for, sending the drink splatting to the floor.

Almost immediately, the cortex alarms began to scream. I didn't need anyone to start panicking before my gut told me something had gone terribly wrong.

The building started to shake; sheer terror filled my stomach to the core. "Was that-" Cisco croaked, having his thought completed by Ronnie, "-Loud bang."

The entire team, including me, rushed immediately to the computers to check out the issue. The storm- it had to be the storm, or so I thought at the time.

I don't remember much of the details, but I remember the sinking feeling that the machine was going to blow up if the team didn't find a way to manually shut the machine down.

Ronnie was the lead engineer on the project, so he was the one who had to shut it off... he never came back.

It should have been me. I didn't deserve this team in the first place. Everything I have done that none of them knew about... it kills me that an innocent man had to give up his family and his life to protect the rest of us when I was literally crafted into a disposable warrior.

Just as quickly as my dreams had come true of being normal, they were ripped away almost as fast. I was never meant for that life; I was never meant to be a part of something greater...

After that night, I decided to move back in with my sister, Felicity- a new city, a new life. Always running.

-End of Flashback-

-

Starling City... Booming night life, which meant booming tips for a bangin' bartender!

Well, since that is what I decided to do with my PhD now.

"Oliver Queen." I joked, walking over to a familiar face at the end of the bar. "You really have to stop making this a habit. I told you, I am fine."

Oliver gave me a warm smile, "I just want to make sure you're okay, Y/N."

His cheeks had a feint pink tint to them, which were barely noticeable if I wasn't staring intently at his every move. Sure, I thought he was attractive, but billionaire playboy wasn't my type.

About a week ago, a man had me at gunpoint, but the vigilante 'Arrow' saved me before anything happened. There was only two reasons why someone would try attacking me, hopefully it was only for my life in Central City and not something deeper.

"Some people still don't think we have paid quite enough for what happened that day..." I honestly didn't need the vigilante's help; I could take care of myself. "Besides," I placed a drink on a napkin in front of him, "No offense, but I'm pretty sure the Arrow would be better protection than you, Oli; have you even shot an arrow before?"

I met Oliver about a year ago, right when I moved back in with my sister, who is one of his closest friends.

Oliver Queen... What do I even say about him?

The perfect man. He is rich, he is sweet, and I am fairly certain that his arms aren't the only toned muscles under the shirt he had on.

"Doesn't mean I can't keep an eye on my friends." He responded, taking a sip of his drink. "What do you need, Oli? We're basically closed." He placed a large bill on the counter and half-way got up, but he only stopped to lean in against the counter, "Can I take you home?"

I played with the bill between my fingers; I used to fight with him about leaving huge tips, but I quickly discovered that arguing with Oliver is next to useless. Now, he comes almost every day I am working.

"Of course," I smiled, "but I am afraid you'll have to wait downstairs, Mr. Queen..."

I said his formal name in a teasing tone, which made him raise an eyebrow. He always hated it when I teased his rich boy My-mommy-owns-a-company lifestyle. "I have to close up shop." He nodded then headed towards the elevator.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought the two of you are in love." My coworker, Cecilia, stated when Oliver vanished from site. Her words made me catch myself smiling from ear to ear. Quickly, I reminded the muscles where they belong after a brief laugh, "Not a chance. We've been friends for over a year now.... If Oliver wanted to be with me, Ce, he would have already tried."

Ce counted her tips with a doubtful smirk on her face. She never would take my shit... funny how she soon became my best friend in Starling City only days after moving here. I owe a lot to that red-head; she gave me this wonderful job and also a shoulder to lean on. Most importantly, she never asked questions when she knew I didn't want to talk about my past before moving back hom- here.

I rolled my eyes at her then grabbed a sanitizer rag and turned her, "Hey, I've got it here if you wanted to head home. I know you have to get your daughter to bed." She smiled with not only her lips, but her eyes and her cheeks also, "Are you sure, Y/N?" Before you get any ideas, only she is allowed to call me by that nickname.

I nodded with an approving smile before she gleefully left towards the elevator without a fight. I started wiping off one of the tables, but a sparkling light caught my eye. I looked up from the table to notice how breathtaking the view of the city was at night. 'Wow... I've never noticed how small the city looks from up here...' I thought to myself.

It's true. I spent so much time hating this place I once called home. I would curse the city, but maybe if things were different I could look at that skyline with a better outlook.

After another glance, I put away the rag and began counting the tips I gathered from the night; it pays to live in such a rich city. "Y/N Smoak..." A deep, raspy voice cut through the distant nightlife. A wave of pure terror swept over me as I whipped around to see a figure in full tactical gear with a half yellow, half black mask on. I suddenly remembered him as Deathstroke, although he has never confronted me before.

Why now?

"What do you want from me?" I kept my cool while slowly backing up to the silent alarm Oliver insisted to be installed. "I do not want anything from you... I am here for you, Y/N."

The chilling words crept up my spine and created a knot in my throat as if I had swallowed an entire frog. Does he know who I am deeper than just a name? If so, then exactly which version of me is he after? The physicist, or someone much worse from before Central City?

"I... I don't understand." Were my last words before I felt a sharp ping in my neck and my vision faded out to black. I never made it to the silent alarm, unfortunately.

*Author's Note*
Hey guys! Please don't forget to vote! It keeps me going :) This is a story that has already been written, but I unpublished the old one so I can rewrite it with better details and a stronger character choice. Updates should be frequent!