Chapter 10

-Russia -3 years ago-

I was standing outside of the main training room, watching Vitka and Nyssa fight from behind a two-way mirror. Echo was standing beside me, watching his beloved practice. Curiosity struck me, "How do you do it? You and Vitka..."

"We... don't."

I was confused; I knew the two of them were lovers, but why was Echo dodging the question? "I'm sorry... did something happen?"

"No. Nothing happened... and nothing ever can." Echo could tell I was confused. "Look, Y/N, the business we are in does not allow for us to have loved ones. A few days we will see the glimpse of a normal life; we will feel as though we can have the ones that we want."

He turned his attention from Vitka, to me. "It is important to remember that these are but only an oasis in a lifetime of the desert. You may enjoy it, but do not expect it to last."

I remember his words, but I also remember not being phased by them. At that point of my life, I had no one that I loved or even wanted to be closer with.

Even to this day, Echo's words ironically echoed in my mind.

"I don't know... you and Vitka seem very happy together." I commented. Echo's Australian accent showed its face through his amused chuckles. "If we were happy we would be husband and wife, not so called lovers."

I couldn't argue with him, even I would call them 'the lovers.'

"Come, we have much to accomplish today. Vitka and Nyssa will be meeting us at the rally point."

-End of Flashback-

-

'Felicity: How are you feeling?'

I read the words across my phone screen while fixing my hair for trivia night. Fortunately, Barry brought a bunch of my clothes from home to Central City while I stayed here.

'Me: Not like I have the urge to lift a car, so that's good.. haha'

'Felicity: I'll tell the team. How long will you be in CC?'

'Me: I'm not sure... How are you? How is everyone?'

'Felicity: I'm fine. But by "everyone" did you mean just Oli?"

I forced a gulp to rid me of the lump her text formed in my throat. I forgot I had admitted to Felicity what happened that other night.

'I'll just text her back later...'

I tossed my phone onto the Airbnb room's bed. Just when I got up to leave, Barry sped through the front door.

I greeted him in a teasing tone, "Are you stalking me, Mr. Allen?"

"If I was, you wouldn't see me!"

His face instantly turned red in embarrassment. "That came out a lot less clever than it was in my head."

"For the fastest man alive, you aren't too quick witted." I giggled, then wrapped my arm in his in a friendly way, "Let's go."

I caught Barry while he was staring at me.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, adjusting any wrinkles or stray hairs on my navy blue dress. "No, no..." Barry gently held my hands in his, "You're perfect." His words forced my cheeks to blush, which in return sent me running from the confrontation, "Let's go?"

Barry let go of one hand, followed hesitantly by the other. 'I guess 9 months in a coma puts you out of practice as much as 5 years on an island does.' I thought,