Chapter 38

After getting Laurel back home safely, I rushed to Verdant where the team was. "Y/N!" Felicity shouted through tears when I walked through the door. She rushed over to me and wrapped me in her arms. "Where is Oliver?" Diggle asked me.

The words instantly ripped at my heart and made me cry, "He's fighting Slade... I came here to see if he was in contact with you."

I let go of Felicity so I could scramble on my computer keyboard to try tracking him. I pressed the mic, "Oliver!?"

The tracking continuously came up inconclusive and Oliver's mic seemed to be offline also. I tried as hard as I could to track him for nearly an hour.

I finally gave up and fell down onto my knees and started sobbing, "I shouldn't have left him there..."

The team surrounded me; they were just as worried, but I clearly had more of an attachment to the situation since I was there beside him. "You were doing exactly what Oliver wanted you to do, Y/N... This isn't your fault." Diggle assured.

Roy nodded in agreement, "Plus, Oliver is strong... I'm sure he's okay."

"You don't get it... neither of you do. I am the reason he is in that situation in the first place. I should have stayed and I should have fought Slade Wilson with him. Instead, I chose to run away and abandon him!" I explained.

I buried my head into my hands, "This is my fault..."

"This isn't your fault..." The familiar voice cut into the air from where I had entered. I yanked my head in the direction to see Oliver standing in full gear with battle wounds, but still standing strong. "I never want to hear you blame yourself again, do you understand?" He added. His words went right through me. "Oliver?"

I wiped my eyes with my sleeve; the team then made a hole for me to run to him and wrap my arms around him. "Where the hell were you?" Felicity asked him.

I squeezed my eyes shut and enjoyed Oliver's arms wrapping tightly around my body. His head rested gently on top of mine. "My coms were damaged in the fight... I came straight here. A.R.G.U.S. has Slade and they're taking him somewhere he won't hurt anyone again."

Diggle noticed the way Oliver was holding me close to his body. He had his arms over mine, but one of his hands were wrapped around and pressing the small of my back so I would be closer against him. Oliver allowed his eyes to rest with his chin on my head while he enjoyed the moment.

"Uh..." I heard Diggle interrupt, "Let's give them two a second."

I held Oliver tighter; never did I think I would be afraid of him dying like I was today. It was a surreal and helpless feeling when the technology we relied on gets stripped away from our disposal.

Oliver gently let go of the embrace when the team left so he could wipe my tears. He offered a comforting smile, which eased every one of my fears. "I promised you I would meet up with you again." He purred.

"Oliver, it isn't up to you whether or not you keep your promises... not promises like those." I paused before deciding to explain so he would hopefully understand, "Back in the League... I couldn't care less about casualties- I knew it was part of the job so I made it certain that I was only at arms length with everyone I worked with... even Vitka and Echo."

Oliver tilted his head slightly and batted his eyes a few times. Now that I was looking closer at his facial features, I could see how dirty and tough the fight must have been- especially to have lasted so long. "Oliver, you don't get it-"

"Yes, I do..." He responded in a soothing tone. I cut him off, "No-"

I looked into his deep blue eyes, finally finding the time that seemed best, "Oliver, I love you."