63

Emilia

I park the Tesla a few blocks away. I want to arrive on my own terms and headlights will just get me killed quicker. I've never been so frightened in my life, so terrified of what's to come.

But this is better than the alternative. If I had told Aiden what was going on, he would have locked me in the house and gotten himself killed. I did what I had too, and when he finds my phone he'll find a nervously scribbled note explaining that.

I'm near the place Aiden took me to on our date night, I can hear the faint sounds of the music playing and people enjoying their night.

Darkness is all I see as I walk further between tall abandoned buildings, sealing my fate with each panicked step.

I tiptoe through the alleyways, my heart beating out of my chest. I stole one of Aiden's guns and it's tucked into my black leggings. I don't think I'll make it out of this alive, but if the man on the phone doesn't immediately let my mom leave... I'll have to take matters into my own hands.

I can see the building, so close yet so far. A streetlight flickers overhead, making this an actual nightmare.

I steel myself to keep moving forward, my mom is in that building.

My feet crunch against the rotting pavement, until a hand firmly grips my mouth and my body is flown through an open door.

My back is violently pressed against a cold concrete wall. The door shuts, I can't see a thing. No light. A hand sits flush against my mouth, muffling my screams. This is it. I should have known they would be waiting in dark corners.

"Be fucking quiet!" A deep voice orders. My body stills, then violent shakes rake through my body. I just want to see who is in front of me.

A cord is pulled, and a swinging pendulum light illuminates the area just enough for me to see the man's face.

There's no denying the deeper than the night ocean blue eyes that look back at me. Thomas Peters, the man who killed my father.

I scream into his hand; he looks even more sinister with a dark hood pulled over his head. The dark shadows of his face are all I can see. But I don't miss the shine of the pistol tucked in his hand.

I recoil from Thomas's touch, terror reigning through me as he leans in close to me. From the corner of my eyes I see another figure emerge through the back, then another.

A gun cocks, I shut my eyes tightly. "Let her go!" Aiden. His voice makes my body go numb. My eyes shoot open. How did he find me? Oh, God. I'm going to get him killed.

Aiden steps closer, placing the gun to Thomas's temple. I cry into his hand at the sight of Aiden's busted lip. "I said, let her go." The other silhouette comes into view, I was expecting Howard. But it's... Leo? His bloody face making guilt stream through me.

Thomas puts his hands up, releasing me. I dive into Aiden's chest. He's still turned away from us. Leo keeps his gun trained on Thomas, "Turn around!" Leo orders, Aiden's arms wrap around me so tightly I can't breathe.

His large hand caresses my cheek, emerald eyes look over my body to make sure I'm okay. "You found me." I whisper, giving myself a moment to breathe. Leo's gun is trained on Thomas.

"I always will." Aiden says, clutching my face in his hand.

A moment of relief isn't worth his life.

"You have to go!" I beg, but he only laughs at my demand.

Both of his hands grip my face, the cool metal of his gun sitting on my cheek as his eyes bore into mine. "I'm not fucking going anywhere. Tell me what the fuck is going on." He seethes, looking to the hooded figure, still facing the wall he had me pinned too.

Leo's voice disrupts our conversation, "I said, turn the fuck around. Show yourself!"

Thomas's hood drops as he turns our way. Aiden's chest falls when he sees who was just holding me captive. "Oh my God, Emilia. I'm so sorry." He whispers to me, his arms holding me protectively. Doesn't he hate me for everything I did to him? He feels the gun on my waistband but doesn't say anything.

"Mpampa?" Leo asks, his words directed at Thomas.

Aiden stiffens against me, "Get behind me, Emilia." As he pushes me behind his tall frame, Aiden's eyes frantically switching between both men. Leo aims his gun down, and Aiden raises his to Leo.

"What did he say, Aiden?" I tug on his sleeve, trying desperately to figure out what word caused the change in dynamic.

Aiden shakes his head, "Who the fuck are you Leo?" his voice is smothered in betrayal.

"Aiden what did he say!" I plead. Leo walks over to Thomas, and Aiden turns his head towards me slightly. His expression is a mixture of terror and realization.

His mouth opens, then closes for a long beat before he speaks again, telling me exactly what Leo said to the man who murdered my father in cold blood.

"Dad?"

They lured us here, they wanted Aiden too.

😳

SURPRISE! New book alert! 🚨 I'll start posting chapters in April, I'll be busy with the publishing of Emilia for a bit, but if you'd like go ahead and add it to your library so you'll be notified when I start posting :)

ALSO! Signed book giveaway on my Instagram! HardinsGirl1 ♥️

See y'all Saturday 🥺