9

♥️

Leo guides me inside the rental house with small steps, careful strides while he holds me up. When we first arrived here, I was admiring the layout. The bright colors that draped the interior and the way the deck overlooked the beautiful Tyrrhenian sea. But now, all I see is darkness and death.

Everything is in tunnel vision, how much more can a heart take? Water begins to pour, I look for the source. I see Leo running his hand underneath the pouring faucet checking the temperature.

"In." He says in his thick greek accent. I look down at myself, noticing the dirt and muck mixed with dried blood from the torture chamber Aiden was in and I weep. Leo makes his way to me, holding me up as he walks us towards the shower. He doesn't try to remove my clothes he just... steps in with me. The water soaking his black attire as well as mine.

He brings a cloth to my face and washes away the tears and dirt. I stand still, not wanting to comprehended having my hopes up so terribly high to having them gone in one solid second.

I'm broken.

Leo exits the shower, taking off his clothes and wrapping himself in a towel quickly. I look away, not wanting to see another man naked even though that other man is no longer here anymore. He leaves to give me some privacy and I wrap myself in a towel. The floor is a soaking mess by the time I finally get the courage to walk into the room.

I walk over to my luggage and hastily grab some items and return to change in the bathroom. I throw on Aiden's t shirt and a pair of sleep shorts. Exiting again, My shaking hands navigate to the ring I left on my nightstand. With the locket in one hand and my promise ring in the other I sit on the edge of the unfamiliar bed. There's one bed in this small condo. Leo stands in the living room, wearing only a pair of black basketball shorts leaning against a wall. His expression worried.

I twiddle the gold ring in between my fingers, wondering how we got here. I watch as Leo slides a small table in front of me, his movements are slow and careful or am I losing my mind? He uncorks a bottle of wine, pouring a small glass for me then he sets the bottle down on the table.

"Here." He hands it to me, "Drink a little, it will help." He offers me a weak smile; I refuse the glass and clutch the bottle instead. Turning it up and drinking the bitter liquid. Leo grabs the bottle from me, ripping it from my hands, some wine spills on the tile floor. We both ignore it as we walk outside together.

He guides me onto the balcony, and I stare out at the black Tryyhenian Sea, admiring how it goes on forever. I walk to the edge, looking down. Wondering how long it would take me to just... hit the bottom. These dark thoughts invade my broken mind. I forget where I am and then just like that, I hear a lighter click on and the sound of a cigarette drag being pulled through Leo's lips.

I look behind me, he makes his way too me in one long stride, his body blocking me from the edge. Does he know? Does he know my dark thoughts?

The smoke lingers in the salty air as he exhales. It reminds me of Aiden, it's comforting. I breathe in deeply. "Can I have a hit?" I ask in a broke voice. He studies me a moment, about to say no but he stops himself.

Pulling out his pack he places one in between my lips, then he clicks the lighter on. I inhale, and choke. I must still have a sliver of my soul left over because this elicits a chuckle from me.

"More wine." I say, heading back inside but Leo stops my movements grabbing my arm. His heavy Greek accent looks like it belongs in such a tropical climate, even if this place is hell.

His expression is sharp under the white light of the moon. "Don't drink to forget Em, drink to calm yourself. You're stronger than you think. You've been through this before." He reminds me, and he's right.

I smile, slightly. Grabbing the glass instead of the bottle and filling up one for him. "Here." I say, walking back out onto the porch.

After a few glasses a tear comes down my cheek as I try and accept what is happening. I become animated, "He gets shot." I take a sip.

"He lives." I smile.

"Oh, but then we go on a rooftop..." I begin to pace around the small porch, my voice becoming more frantic. "Then he gets kidnapped, but I thought he was dead the whole time." I pick the bottle back up, taking a swig.

Leo watches me intently, "I fucking buried him, you were there." I sluggishly point to Leo, my words slurring. "He's alive!" I cry, then I cry some more.

Then I collapse on the ground "Oh, but wait.. He's dead again!" I finish the bottle on the floor.

Leo wraps me in his arms, pulling me up and inside. the warm air from the open-door dancing in and wrapping around the both of us. Through drunken eyes I look up up up at him. Underneath the warm light, I notice his gray eyes looking unreal under the warm golden glow of the indoor light. I look away. It's too much. But...

I need to be selfish; I need comfort if just for one night.

"Bed?" He asks, his voice calm. I nod, "I need to be held." I admit in a sluggish voice.

I look back at him and he smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "I'll be whatever you need me to be." He assures me.

Taking off his shirt he reveals a lean frame. Free of tattoos. Different then Aiden but he still has a golden hue to his skin. He climbs on the bed. "I'm going to lay on the couch." I say, suddenly feeling nauseous.

He chuckles, but it's low and gritty. "Oh, come on babe... I mean Em. I'll go." He begins to get up, but I shake my head, against my better judgement I climb in next to him.

I lay my head on his chest, ignoring the pang of guilt that plagues my body as I breathe in his half familiar scent. The smell of smoke, I know. But the other half is different, more earthy. I breathe in deeply. I know it isn't fair, but I imagine Aiden's tattooed arms wrapped around me, like we are on vacation together in southern Italy.

Then I drift to sleep in another man's embrace.

♥️

See y'all for another chapter later! :)

I know a lot of people talk smack about Emilia in the first book, but just think about what she's going through right here and give her a small break lol