4

I retreat into my lonely room. Grabbing Aiden's computer out of the box of things Howard had brought. Besides his T-shirt that I wear to sleep I haven't touched anything, afraid that if I did it would make his loss more real.

But tonight, I need to see pictures of him. I have to get the anguished look of despair on his face in the video out of my head.

I guess the passcode on the first try. My full name.

Slowly and with tear filled eyes I go through the folders of pictures, the gradual timeline showing him enjoying life more as our time together passed. I remember when we first met and I would take pictures of him, his smile would be flat and serious. He was only ever playful behind closed doors, but he changed into someone happier.

I skim through his folders, half of them business memos and half of them full of photos and videos of me.

One, in particular, catches my eye. It's not a folder, more of a software program. It's entitled 'Mine.'

I click on the tab and my eyes widen. On my screen is a map, showcasing months of my activity. I smile, I know normal people would be upset but I had an inkling suspicion that locket necklace had a tracker on it. Aiden was the type of man who wanted to keep me safe, I didn't mind one bit.

I wish I had my necklace, it was in his pocket on that night and Howard said they couldn't find it when they took his body away.

I refresh the location.

Then I storm out of the room.

**

I stomp with furious strides to Howard's door, clutching the closed laptop in my hands. Banging on the door so hard my knuckles become sore as I wait.

With a sleepy look, he opens it, running a hand through his salt and pepper hair.

"What's go-" I cut him off, storming into the room and flipping the switch on.

"Where is his body, Howard?" I bark, his face goes tight.

"I told you, we took it. We buried him." His voice is slow.

I roll my eyes. "We buried a box, didn't we?" In defeat Howard sits on the edge of his bed with a grunt, he clutches his bandaged shoulder.

"His instructions were clear Ms. Emilia." I stop him again, calming my voice to try to get him to see me as someone other than a girl he's trying to protect. "Please, Howard. Call me Emilia or Em. Ms sounds too formal." I give him a weak smile and sit next to him.

He smiles, "Emilia, Aiden's instructions were very clear. If anything were to happen to him, I wasn't to give you hope."

"Tell me the truth," I demand in a firm voice, my eyes pleading with him.

"We never found his body."

A smile creeps up my lips, the feeling of my lips turning upward is so unusual. "Oh my God."

He holds a hand up, "It doesn't matter Emilia, that's the issue. He didn't want us looking for him." He gives me a considerate look, gauging my emotions. "Because it's likely they took his body as a trophy or to hide evidence. There was so much blood." He lowers his head.

"So you just stop? You give up on him?" I scoff, looking at Howard in a different light.

He smiles while looking at the ground. "Of course not. I have men looking for him, but whoever took him may have already done something, they wouldn't keep him for long. That's if he was even alive when they took him. Aiden said if something like this were to ever happen, I needed to bury a box meant for him so you wouldn't spend your life searching. That was protocol." He nods his head, I shake mine.

"Why would he put me through all of this if there's a chance?"

Harold places his hand over his mouth, trying to hold his words in. "He didn't do it to be mean Emilia." He pauses, taking in a breath. "He did it because he doesn't want you chasing the ghost of a dead man."

Refusing to believe him I say, "I know where he is."

Howard's eyes dart to mine, then his brow lifts.

I open the computer and lift the screen to show him, clicking on the tracker.

"Italy."

♥️