10

♥️

I wake to a flood of light pouring in through the open doors of the balcony, the smell of saltwater fills my nostrils. Leo nowhere in sight.

I look around with squinted eyes and a pounding headache, the room slightly spinning. An overpowering hangover makes me jolt into the bathroom.

An unopened bottle of Motrin and a glass of water sit next to the sink, a handwritten note beside it.

'I'll be back shortly with food. I'm sorry you were so upset last night, that was never my intention bringing you here. Take the medicine, I'm sure your heads killing you. I had to get my own coffee, thanks a lot. Haha. - Leo.'

I put the note back down and pinch the bridge of my nose, then I stop myself and step into the shower. I took one last night, but I was tangled in Leo all night... it seems wrong? As the warm water cascades through my hair and down my back I begin to cry from guilt. I know nothing happened but laying in another mans arms felt wrong. Even if Aiden is... really gone this time.

After a good cry in the shower I get changed into a comfortable pair of clothes, not sure when we're leaving but I want to get out of Italy as soon as possible.

I open the bathroom door and see a cart; Leo stands sipping a mug of coffee. He hands me my own. I bring the warm liquid to my lips and let the warm frothy liquid slide down my sore throat.

"Have whatever you like." He smiles, gesturing to the array of food on the tray. My eyes skim over the desserts. Any other time this would be an absolute dream of mine to have such authentic Italian pastries but all they make me think of is Aiden. Everything makes me think of Aiden. I bypass the colorful items and grab some eggs and toast with a glass of orange juice instead, I head for the balcony.

Leo follows me, his movements matching mine. Slow. Careful. Calm. Why is he watching me so intently? "When are we leaving?" I ask him, my voice sore from yelling on the patio last night.

He lifts his brow, a half smile creeping up his face. God, he has to stop being so happy all the time. "Wanting to leave so soon?" His mood seems elevated.

I roll my eyes, "I have to get out of here Leo."

"You don't want to look anymore?"

I shake my head. Where is he going with this?

"What about that girl I've grown to know who wouldn't give up?" he looks at me pointedly.

"There was nothing there." I remind him.

"Actually, I was gone this morning because I wanted to try one more thing. I need you to trust me, okay?"

I wave him off, "Leo I can't do it anymore. Everyone is right. I can't keep going through this. It's breaking me. I can only be strong for so long. He's alive, he's dead, he's alive, he's dead. People forget I'm only eighteen. I'm chasing a ghost." I admit with tears in my eyes.

He ignores me, his confident stride walks back and forth on the small patio. With a flick of his wrist he says, "We're going to a party." A devilish smirk adorning his sharp features.

This elicits a chuckle from me. "You can't be serious."

"Yes, just listen and do exactly as I say and we should be fine. I wouldn't even want to put you in the situation, but you need to find him." His expression is distant, his voice low. "I would go alone but you would refuse." He rolls his eyes and I playfully swat his arm.

His expression turns serious as he takes my hand in his. Taking a deep breath he says, "Em, I'm serious. You have to follow my orders." I only follow one man's orders, I want to say. But I don't.

"I don't know." I admit, my broken heart not wanting to beat again. I don't think I can handle it. I really don't, last night was the hardest moment of my life. The darkest moment.

He gives me a half smile. "No one was there last night because there's an event going on Em. It's a party of the Campania Mafia's allies. I don't know why the warehouse was empty, but if he is alive." He frowns, "And I'm not trying to get your hopes up. But if he's alive this will be the place he would be."

I look at him with suspicion and he continues. "I don't know why they would take a prisoner to a party, if they even have him." His gaze is distant, almost as if he doesn't want to be telling me all of this but I'm thankful he trusts me enough to confide and give me the truth. Everyone always shelters me, Leo doesn't.

I nod, my heart scared to beat again.

His gray eyes dance in the morning sun, "We're going to have to go into the lion's den."

♥️

Follow my Instagram for chapter sneak peeks on my story! @HardinsGirl1