Prologue

It's 5 degrees Celsius

It's 5 degrees Celsius. The sun isn't even in the sky. It's hidden behind a million literally black clouds that are raining down a storm upon our heads. Okay, so it's not a full storm yet but it's raining, it's probably going to start pouring soon and that is exactly my point. Because you're in the pool. The outdoor pool. You're the only one. Like literally. There is no one else here. Except for me.

I'm your lifeguard.

And you are the moron who came to my pool, in the middle of a rainstorm and decided: "Why yes, it looks like a good day to swim outdoors." I would have closed if I could but I can still see the bottom so I'm not allowed and I'm not happy. To clarify, I think you're a fucking idiot. There is a perfectly good indoor pool to your left in the Pavilion where it's warm and dry but your stupid ass is outside.

"Rory! For the millionth time, you are not allowed to guard in that jacket. Take. It. Off!"

Yep, you guessed it. I'm Rory. I'm the disgruntled lifeguard under the giant picnic table sized umbrella standing across from you. I'm wearing a long yellow raincoat that is open so you can see my gaudy orange shirt that says "Lifeguard" in florescent white letters. You know, in case you couldn't see the blinding orange. I'm in black shorts and flip flops for two reasons. Firstly it's because it's my uniform. Yeah, the people here at Earth and Body Spa and Retreat like Halloween so much they made it our official colors. And secondly because it was raining and I expected to be indoors. I am now frozen and it's not even winter.

The very angry looking Asian man yelling at me from the safety of the Pavilion doors is Jay. He's sort of my boss. Actually he is my boss but I don't usually listen to him and he's in a bad mood today. Not that anyone can really tell because Jay's faces and moods are pretty much the same. He's wearing the same uniform, except mine is cooler because of the jack-o'-lantern face decal I have on my shirt, his black hair is sticking up oddly which leads me to assume that he has been sleeping.

"Well he's not happy," you say to me.

"He's never happy," I snap back, and that's true. At least not with me. Maybe it's because I'm too happy so he feels the need to be super miserable whenever I'm around, which is all the time. Either way, Jay is glaring at me and I'm mad at him for sending me out here in the rain so I'm not ready to play nice just yet.

"It's cold!" I shout back.

Jay's face contorts, it's only for a few seconds but it's enough for me to know that he has not forgiven me. So I accidentally knocked his lunch off the table, it could have been worse and it's not like I didn't offer some of my lunch to him. I honestly think he's over reacting.

"You haven't done your training in it, so take it off!" He orders.

"Kinky!" I shoot back and his face goes red. Jay can't take anything suggestive, makes him nervous, plus he's constantly telling me how unladylike my cussing is. He's nothing but a big prude.

"Rory!" he roars and I find myself rolling my eyes. I know from experience that if he gets any angrier he'll throw me in the pool and I'd rather be damp instead of soaking.

Throwing the umbrella to the ground I violently shrug off my jacket and throw it onto the guard stand. I know immediately its hit a puddle but I figure I'll be okay, it's waterproof after all. I quickly pick up the umbrella before I can get any more rain on me and then I resume glaring at you.

My game plan is to stare at you with a disappointed look on my face until you get uncomfortable and leave.

"I still can't believe that no one else is here!" you say. Again.

How can you really not believe it? It's raining! Everyone else is inside. Because it's Raining! And you can't figure out why you're the only one in the pool? A fucking three year old could figure it out, buddy.

"I hope you get hit by lightning!" I hiss under my breath.

Unfortunately you hear me because you ask: "What was that?"

And I'm forced to put on a fake smile and say: "I just said I'm glad you're having fun!" and you resume your horrible head-up front crawl.

You hum to yourself as you go, no doubt pleasedwith yourself. You have literally no idea that your lifeguard hates you, withever fiber of her very being.