22. A Touch Lighter Than Feathers, To A Burning Soul

CHAPTER 22: A Touch Lighter Than Feathers, To A Burning Soul

I feel like the bottomless pit of a never-ending ocean with an aluminium anchor chained tightly to my ankle and a drowning lungful breath of air before I'm taken solely under and the breaches of my sole appear at the very tips of my ice cold fingers. I almost felt like Jack Dawson from Titanic, taking his last heated breath before sinking, I could feel the pain Danny Walker felt before he was shot in Pearl Harbour. The school was holding a movie theatre night because a great investor of theirs, anonymously, had shared strong interest and advocated funds towards the idea. The group had all looked to me the day of the announcement, Poppy, of course, wasn't present but, I was still thinking about our dance, our night together, that was over seventy-two hours prior to now.

That doesn't mean I couldn't get her out of my head without thinking of the way she held me as I showed her just how much I really wanted us to be something more than friends. Driving her home that night, her legs were on my lap and her head was on my chest as we shared little muses, I got her to giggle more than twice and that meant something big to me. We had talked a little in the car once I'd parked outside of her house, we were far too conversed into one another for me to see how tired she was and only then did I sadly cut our conversation short and walked her to her front door.

Kissing her forehead in 'goodnight', she was exhausted whereas I just wanted more time with her, I didn't care if she was asleep in our time, just that I had her with me.

So, it's Friday and it's later evening, I'm sitting on tapestry on the grass, with the others lying and watching the black and white film they'd surprisingly placed, it wasn't suppose to rain this evening so, they were cautious of it but, it was a clear night.

I guess not having Poppy cuddled in my arms is what sent a conscious reminder that I was sitting alone in the cold breeze, wearing the short sleeved shirt of a uniform, the school jacket and long pants due to the cold weather. Ivan takes interest in puffing out carbon dioxide to visibly see the exhaling process it makes, mixed in with the coldness in the air. The others don't seem anywhere near as irritatedly unhappy, as the credits roll onwards. I stand, ignoring the calls of the others as I strut out of the front gates and towards my car.

"Maximus, where are you going?!" Everdeen yells from behind me.

I grumble, turning around, but stopping when I notice they're all trying to catch up, Diana sprints to a halting stop beside me, panting as we wait for the others, Trevor trudges with the large blanket in his hand as he glares at me. I couldn't care less.

"Maximus, what the hell, man?" Andrew asks, rubbing his arms along Rosa-belle's for comfort against the harsh air. She even happens to glare at me as Diana sighs, staring at me knowingly.

"Well, do you want to fly by her place or not?"

Everdeen groans out in exasperated annoyance, ready to slam her jacket on the grass and call it 'quits' by the look on her face, "You've got to be kidding me right? I'm really so sick of this Maximus. For goodness sake! Everything revolves around you and her all the damn time, I'm having nightmares of this bullshit!" She flails her arms and hands all over the place, I straighten my back in her complaints.