16. An Experience In The Real Pits Of Hell

CHAPTER 16: An Experience In The Real Pits Of Hell

I'm immobilised.

Stupefied.

And, paralysed.

My hearing felt as though I'd snapped the bones in my ear canal, the distinctive smell of dried blood and horse hay stuck in the air when an unnatural sharp light fills my atmosphere with a negative energy that makes every muscle in my body, tense. I know I'm in an equally dark place with a burning in my abdomen, legs and cheeks. I move my fingers only for a second before my hand is harshly kicked and my eyes snap open so fast, every colour, blur, every image is spotlighted in front of me.

My head smacks into something wet and cold and the smell grows horrific the more I decide to inhale and my throat is suddenly clutched as I choke on it, "Maximus Myers, is it?!" The man yells as I cough at the ringing of a few other multiple screams, they sound oddly familiar but, I can't even understand my surroundings, let alone a significant sound.

"ANSWER ME!" I gasp, shaking out of his grip as it penetrated harder into my jaw bones, I felt as though I'd broken it but, it wasn't hanging from my mouth so, I assumed, it wasn't.

"I said to fucking ANSWER ME!" He rasps again, spitting next to my shackled ankles as shapes slowly start to become objects and the colours that surround me no longer blend in with one another. The blinding pain that shoots through my body is when I gasp more, holding my head with my chained wrists.

"Maximus?"

I rock forwards, almost toppling over when softer hands hold at my shoulders and slowly pull me away from the rougher ones that shove me, sharp voices edge into my hearing as their footsteps seem to move away.

"Maximus..."

Someone repetitively calls out my name as I grunt in further pain, it's too bright and the air around me is cold, chilling even, but all I feel is burning heat as I feel like I'm running a high fever.

"Maximus!"

"Calm down, buddy. Take deep breaths." I follow the voice and slowly look up with bloodshot eyes to see an image dispersing before me, until slowly the image condenses back into one and the blur is what leaves me. Ivan, a bloodied and bruised Ivan, sits on his knees in front of me, holding my shoulders.

"Maximus?!"

"Poppy?"

"Breathe." He orders quietly and once I do, I close my eyes and try my hardest to breathe but everything feels blocked, I cough more, dripping new blood from my lips and a warm hand rubs my back before my head connects slowly with the straw like sticks underneath.

It feels as though I'm drowning in my own fluids.

A colder hand massages slightly into my neck as murmurs coarse around me and my first thought is of Poppy.