06. Experiencing The First Nicest Pits Of Hell

CHAPTER 6: Experiencing The First Nicest Pits Of Hell

The tightening of my arm around an empty blanket has my eyes widening greater than I thought possible, especially after being closed for a comfortable six hours, when Poppy is no longer up against my chest. I'd never fallen asleep fast enough when I'd finally gotten her close for comfort, by my side.

The sleep was dreamless considering my mind would never wonder from the girl next to me, first time I'd ever slept next to a girl but, I don't at all regret it. She'd already made me happy, as long as she was next to me.

There was no dent of her head in the pillow and her side of our joint bedding was cold, though I could still smell her perfume and I sigh into the pillow, on her side.

Had I noticed Ivan was awake on my side, I probably would have refrained from doing that, "Are you seriously smelling her pillow?" He scoffs begrudgingly as he sits up and rubs his eyes.

I glare at the person in front of me, which just so happens to be a sleeping Rosa-belle with Andrew rubbing her back behind her, seeing if she'll wake up when he turns to me, "Where's Poppy?" He asks quietly, as I sigh, shrugging as I gesture that 'I don't know', I should've known she is one to rise early in the morning.

Slowly, everyone sits up in their own time, just as Carter yawns and is the first to sleep, "She woke up at three," We all shoot our eyes to him, he shrugs, before continuing, "-don't ask me why."

I thump back down as Carter's the first one up the stairs when I catch Diana shooting a worried look over at him. Confused, I turn to her but she only waves me off, informing me 'everything is alright'. I sigh further in defeat, it would have been seriously nice to wake up with her beside me. I tucked her in close last night.

After a good ten minutes, everyone slowly decides to make their way back upstairs, I turn to Ivan with wide eyes and he chuckles, jumping to further dishevel my hair, "I meant for help not to make it worse, you imbecile!" I snap at him, he just continues up the stairs with a shake of his head.

Due to the fact Diana and the rest of her group were taking lead, I unfortunately only hear Poppy's voice when she greets us with, "Good morning."

"Why are you always up much earlier than every other teenager on this planet?" Carter is the first to speak, sending her an obvious look of disbelief. He walks over to sit on the seat next to her, where I now see a laptop and cup of half drunk tea in front of Poppy who pinches the bridge of her nose, using her other hand to massage her neck.

"Couldn't sleep." She murmurs quietly, I raise a worried eyebrow, desperately wanting to relax her, even massage the probable knot in her neck but, I cannot guarantee she'll let me, so I simply walk closer towards her.

"What time does the amusement park open, Diana?" Everdeen is the first to ask, directing her question to Diana, though I focus on sitting in the seat closest to Poppy, before looking down at the hand she splays on the table next to her.