09. Rendered Loyal To The Ice Queen and Her True Colours

CHAPTER 9: Rendered Loyal To The Ice Queen and Her True Colours

It was a mistake. Hell, it wasn't even my mistake and I'm still at the head of it and for the record, it sucks more than sleeping alone in my bed after sleeping over with Poppy in my arms. That was my haven. Her, in my arms. My freaking arms. I mean, shit, this girl can make my entire body shake to a cardiac arresting feeling without even trying.

I never wanted to be in the position where she didn't just look at me with mere annoyance, on good days, her mirth eyes might just lay upon me and I'd feel like I could fly because those eyes of hers, they were on me and they were alight. Whether the lightness was from sparks of anger or explosive annoyances, those green irises...they made my entire body roar.

Not right now.

Inside, it was dark. It didn't feel like there was a heartbeat and guilt was the first thing that shattered my bones, making me feel drowsy, almost sick with a flu. My stomach was hazy, almost as though I'd starved it.

On the outside, however, I was a literal walking corpse. Only, I wasn't walking, I was just standing before the only light that could...that would look upon me but, right now, our positions had swapped.

I was still weaker. I was the one holding the minuscule light in the palm of my left hand but, everything she was, all except her powerful blonde curls was blackened, overshadowed. It was hard to look into those green irises and see so much more than disappointment when I know I hadn't done anything wrong.

Besides taking Everdeen's advice and actually wearing a purple tie. It was a mistake I would never make again but, looking at the darkened blonde queen before me, I find myself a fallen soldier who failed to honour her in the most loyally Royal way.

That's why, staring into her eyes right now, has me rearing back in a flinch from her sharpness, her strict figure and awe-inspiring spiked eyes. I was more than just speechless but, she only says a couple words that make me feel like a meaningless self-absorbed asshole that was determined for her affection.

Only, I didn't know where she hid it or how to find the key to opening it without being sliced in the process.

It was a sting to the chest, a pounding in my head and a soreness in my ears that made sure I was aware of the betrayal that flashed for a nanosecond in her eyes and that is why I stand before her.

As a vertically fatally driven corpse, awaiting its master's further instructions.

"You both look flawless."

Four words and I felt my heart drop into my stomach, a wheezing sickening feeling clogged up in my throat and I almost buckled forward when I heard those darkened words. Her voice...it was sweet, almost too sweet.

Like honey, it was sticky, the physical appearance was sweetened, it looked almost pure but once used, the mess begins and the terror rises. Poppy was wearing this look...I could barely describe it.