Nathan

He didn't know what would be worse; having Keith killed in front of him, or being made to do so.

Either way, he preferred death over the two possibilities.

But his own end would kill Keith too. They shared one soul now.

"Project," the Changed wizard—Ivan—said, and he knew it was a spell. Nathan closed his eyes, trying to resist.

But his will to retaliate came later as the vision was there first.

He screamed in pain, but he knew his voice was stolen by some magic spell. He started to sense darkness engulfing his mind, showing him visions that were yet to happen. He saw it: him gripping the gun in his hand, lifting it upwards, pointing it forward ...

No!

Nathan tried to close his eyes, struggling to shut the sensors in his head, but the visions kept coming back. He could tell the spells were strong. At one moment, he knew he was in touch again with reality, as he sensed his hand moving, gripping the holster harder. He felt it moved, and he shivered trying to battle against his own involuntary muscle movement.

As he resisted, he felt the spells intensified, tightening his arms as if it was about to snap and shred.

He yelled again.

The vision returned, replaying in his head, and he realized it would be on loop. He felt his hand around the gun, swinging it forward, sending a bullet into Keith's chest ... he wouldn't be targeting the heart, because that was Ivan's lunch of the day ...

His whole head felt hot. Nausea rose to the top of his chest.

His lips shivered, struggling to get words out. "P ... please ... p ... please ..."

"Stop resisting!" Ivan commanded.

Nathan cried and howled as if he was in his wolf form. I can't. I just can't.

I'm sorry, Keith.

He wanted to remember all the good things with Keith before it was all over. Maybe he could take a peek into his mate ...

His hand jerked forward, and his forefinger lingered around the trigger once again ...

That's when he felt the shift.