Nathan

Everything started when Nathan discovered that his father had found his true mate

When Dad had been with Nathan's mother, the couple didn't really believe in the mate concept, thinking of it as nothing but a myth. But just recently, Nathan had woken up hearing Dad's happy voice, his father's laughter beaming and echoing in his head. It had been only about seven months since Anthony had separated with Lori during the time after she had claimed to find her true mate. Nathan's father had just gotten back from traveling around Europe to shake off his sadness when something weird had happened to the both of them.

Anthony had made breakfast for Nathan during that morning—two pancakes, two sunny-side up eggs and a sausage, forming a neat smiley on the plate.

"Hey, Nate!" Anthony had said, his voice sounded very cheery. "Come take a seat and let's freshen up!"

Someone had been lingering in his father's head—Nathan could already tell. There was a person who had clung dearly in Anthony's heart, and the image was blurry and distorted in Nathan's head. Slowly, the image revealed itself in a strange sense. Then Nathan started to see unclear glances of her eyes and her figures, thinking that it might be just his imagination.

"You're so ... happy, today?" Nathan had responded to his father, slowly taking a seat.

"Really?" Anthony asked back. "Was I not always happy like I am now?"

"No," Nathan told his father the truth. "You were sort of stressed out lately."

Anthony had only laughed in response, slicing his chicken sausage on the plate on took a bite.

"English breakfast, huh?" Nathan said, injecting some sarcastic snorts in his voice before starting to take a bite at his own meal.

"Yep," his father replied.

"You found your mate."

Words had just spluttered out of Nathan's mouth, because he felt right to say them. Nathan had been very certain that he was saying the truth, and he didn't feel the need to hide them.

Nathan turned to look at Anthony again, and he noticed his father started to eat his food more slowly this time. Anthony shot Nathan a look of confusion.

"Wow," Anthony responded, looking down at his plate, his face was suddenly warm. "You're good, Nate."

"Were you trying to hide it from me?" Nathan asked.

"No, I was not!" Anthony replied. "I was planning to tell you and your sisters soon ... well, I guess I only have to break the news to Clarissa and Zoey now ..."

His father started to talk so fast, and seeing Dad blushing like a teenage boy had made things awkward. Anthony ate his breakfast faster and started to load his dish into the dishwasher. Nathan finished his meal shortly later and stood beside his father near the kitchen stove.

"Um, congrats, I guess?" Nathan said. You were supposed to congratulate someone who had found their eternal lover, weren't you?

"How did you know?" Anthony asked.

The vision of his father's mate was strengthening in his mind; Nathan could almost hear how her voice sounded like. "She's a good woman, Dad. You're lucky."

"How can you say that? You haven't met her yet," Anthony asked.

Anthony's strong excitement had pulled Nathan in again, overpowering his head with more voices. Claire, Nathan's head heard. You're mine. The voice sunk and resurfaced repeatedly.

"Her name's Claire," Nathan announced, as if he was reading some prophecy.

Anthony's heart had raced so much to his son's weird behavior that day. How could he know so much about his father's mate? He can't be ...