Keith

Tessa and Keith only found a brand of new shoes after hours and hours strolling around the mall in the city. Keith ended up with a fit white button-down with the sleeves rolled up, a new pair of emerald corduroy shoes and his old black jeans. He combed his hair effortlessly with his fingers, sliding it to the left and breathed out in ease.

"Tell me about this whole routine in the party again, Tessa," Keith demanded.

"It's a pack-pledge," Tessa answered, fixing his buttons as the two of them looked into a mirror in Keith's bedroom. Tessa glowed in an all-pink set of one-shoulder dress with golden lacings, a bedazzled beret and a pair of glittery pink stilettos. "Basically, your mother has to sign something to register the two of you officially into the pack. It's all some boring bureaucracy stuff."

"So ... that's it?" Keith pressed on. "Then we'll get to eat some werewolves' favorites and leave?"

"Uh, uh, it's not that simple, honey," Tessa said. "There's a get-together, and the pack members, especially Anthony's family, may want to get to know you more."

"WHAT?"

"Of course!" Tessa said, patting Keith's shoulder lightly. She pointed to Keith's small backpack in the corner of the room. "I've packed your stuff ... don't worry. You may have to spend the night there."

"This is not funny, Tessa," Keith grumbled.

"I'm sorry."

"Ugh!" Keith could feel heat rising up to his face. Tessa caressed his back, and he tried to breathe in. Don't be dramatic. It's just one night, and I'm doing this for Mom.

"Alright, I think we are all set," Tessa announced. "Let's go."

Keith was quiet throughout the whole drive in the sunset, not being able to focus on the road. Tessa put on some high-pitched French opera that she listened to occasionally, and although Keith found that to be annoying, he kept it to himself. As they passed through a thickly forested area with a winding narrow road, he gave up.

"Oh, no ... please don't tell me I'm right all along that these wolves live literally in the woods, burn campfire for heat, dance around like animals and shit. God." Keith slammed his palm onto his face.

"Your judgments are often too quick," Tessa answered casually.

"What . . . you been there before?"

"I had to accompany your mother once," she explained. "It's like an exclusive residential area ... I guess it's grandiose enough to be noticed by normal citizens so that's why it has to be a bit isolated from the city."

"Maybe you just want to make me feel better," Keith said without much conscience. He later retorted, "Or maybe I'm just whining too much. Please tell me I whine too much." His breathing started to get uneven.

"You whine too much," Tessa said.

"Good ... whew, thanks. Keith Carter, it's going to be fine," he said to himself.

"Gee, I don't see why the point of all the edginess here," Tessa responded.

"Parties ... crowds ... you should know me well by now, aunty."

"Oh yeah, and I'm sure there are lots of delicious-looking boys too. There goes one more thing to add on the list." Tessa laughed.

"I'm glad I entertain you."

She didn't reply further, only whistling to the song as she drove higher up the hillside. Keith noticed that there were more streetlamps here—a few miles back the road had been dark and spooky. Then he saw it: glittery auburn lights emerging from the horizon. He almost thought he was seeing another city, but the vision told him it was another neighborhood from its size. As they approached closer, he saw houses lit up in orange lamps, flowers beautifying the parameter of the territory.