Keith

"Chem's okay ... but I think I messed up elaborating hydrocarbons ... what about you, Keith?"

Keith didn't exactly like to discuss answers right after taking tests, but maybe he was in a good mood to entertain Adam today. After all, the curtain was falling on the school year; hence the whooping and hollering of the senior kids behind him as they exited the exam hall.

"Hydrocarbons ... um, well, I can't remember what I did for that one, I guess," Keith said.

"Guys, knock it off," interrupted Jordan. "School's over. Take a chill pill."

Three of them chuckled as they walked aimlessly among the crowd of cheering students. Adam decided they should grab some lunch in the school cafeteria, and the three of them agreed doing so as they had a half an hour to kill before the final bell rang. Settling on a table, they talked and discussed about some stuff—some normal, human-being stuff—that sort of calmed Keith down in some ways.

It was almost impossible to pretend he didn't know Nathan—every time the thought of him crossed Keith's mind, he brushed it off abruptly. He didn't exactly have the mood to entertain Ivan either, so along the way he spent time with Adam and Jordan, learning the goings-on of the schools. For the most part Keith wanted to find out whether his two new friends knew about the presence of werewolves here ... for the first time Keith thought it'd be better to have some allies of his own kind.

Keith learned about a kid named Theo who was strangely homophobic to Jordan and his boyfriend's relationship. Sensing his protective instincts kicking in over this particular sensitive issue, Keith avoided going further on the subject matter. He didn't want what happened in Austin to repeat itself.

Adam seemed to make a better impression on Keith after discovering him being beaten up by Theo and his friends for standing up for Jordan. He knew he was lucky on earning such friends for the time being, and the sensation of forgetting that he was a shape-shifter was something he missed.

Even talking like normal kids seemed distant, and doing it again now was therapeutic. "So, if Theo hates you for being gay, why doesn't he hate your boyfriend too?"

Jordan and Adam looked at each other for a while instead of answering Keith right over. Keith noticed how they were exchanging awkward glances, like there were some inside matters that seemed reclusive for the both of them only. Not that he minded.

"Well..." Adam responded, "maybe he thinks he can restore Jace's legendary heterosexual prowess."

That cracked Keith up, and three of them exploded into laughter. Adam admired Jace like a celebrity, and Keith could understand why—a few weeks in this school, Jace Andrews really did have an impact around here.

"Let's see if that's going to work," Keith continued as he fiddled through his vibrating phone inside his hoodie's pocket. He was surprised to see his mother calling. "Hold on, it's my mom," he said, leaving the table to walk somewhere quieter. "Hello, Mom."

"Hello, sweetheart," Mom replied, and for a second a sense of yearning came storming inside Keith's chest. Only God knew how he missed his mother—calculating in his mind, he knew a month had almost passed since they departed from each other.

"God, I miss you, Mom," he admitted. "How are you? You haven't called me for ages."

"I know, and I'm really sorry, Keith," his mother said. "I'm okay ... I'm too caught up in the engagement thing, I guess."

"How's Anthony?" Keith asked, pushing a door open to an empty balcony facing the school parking lot. He looked around to the spacious area and wondered how oddly quiet this area was. There were a few smaller chairs and tables here, so he pulled one of them to have a seat.

"He's fine ... oh, enough about me. How about you? I hope you are ready for tonight."

Shit. He'd forgotten that he promised Tessa a shopping trip later after school to prepare himself up for a party tonight. He'd be visiting the wolf pack and Anthony's house for the very first time soon later. He wasn't in the mood for all of this, and for once he thought of fleeing away from everything and be missing for a couple of years.

"Uh ... well, Tessa and I are going to find some clothes later for tonight." Keith tried to sound calm.

"That sounds great," Mom said. "Are you excited?"

"To see you? Hell yes," Keith replied. "I miss you so much."

"Me too ... but, apart from that, Keith. How do you feel about meeting my mate's family tonight?"

"Do I have any other options?" Keith tried not to sound bitter and argue the same thing again, but he couldn't help it.

There was a short silence, and Keith regretted of messing the conversation up—it was their first conversation since ages. "Mom—"

"I've been to the pack's residence once," Mom said. "I think you'll love it."

"I hope so." Keith let out a sigh.

"Alright, Keith. I guess I'll see you tonight?"

Keith smiled recalling to the thought of reuniting with his mother again. "Me too. I love you, Mom."

That ended the conversation. From the balcony, Keith could already spot Tessa's car driving into the school compound. When he turned his heels around, he found himself face-to-face with someone he wished he'd forgotten completely.

Nathan.

He looked shocked seeing Keith, too. Seeing Nathan's eyes threatened his composure, but he tried to hold ground. His pulse ran wild, Keith locked his gaze on Nathan, rage filling inside him.

"What are you doing here?" Nathan asked.

He held the stare onto Nathan, and Keith was throbbing with anger. He could slam Nathan over with no guilt over the wall and put a good deal of damage on that beautiful face. In fact, learning Nathan being a werewolf made it more possible for a battle right now; they were equally strong, so there was no reason for Keith to be blamed for aggression.

Instead,Keith breathed in, trying hard to maintain his serenity. He rolled his eyes andexited the balcony, shoving past Nathan with pride.