73

Carter knocked on Ellis' door with the newspaper in his hand

Carter knocked on Ellis' door with the newspaper in his hand. He had just read Mary's obituary. He couldn't bring himself to read it when it was first delivered.

He had kept it away from James, he knew that he would get mad and either rip the obituary up or throw it in the fire. Carter knew that James needed to grieve Mary before reading her obituary.

Carter walked into Ellis room. She sat up, she had red eyes and tear stained cheeks. Carter didn't say anything, he just handed her the paper.

Ellis glanced at it and sent a glare to Carter. Was he doing this to make her feel worse? He knew she couldn't read but she knew exactly what it was.

Ellis tried her hardest to read the words but they kept getting jumbled.

"Carter." Ellis whispered. "I can't read it."

Carters eyes widened in shock. How could he be so stupid? He didn't mean to be insensitive.

"I'm sorry. I completely forgot."

Ellis fake chuckled, to try and make him feel better, she knew with the way his face drained that he felt guilty.

"Will you read it to me?"

Carter nodded and took a seat on the girls bed, he cleared his throat before reading the obituary.

"Mary LaCriox was born on a winters day in 1865. As those who knew her well can attest, her presence was felt like an endless summer. Her smile could lighten a room where no candles were lit."

James leans against the door frame and listened to Carter read.

"Her laugh could warm any home with an empty hearth. Fierce yet kind, she could cut a man down with her sharpness or tongue, but would bandage the broken wing of a sparrow, such was her sense of justice. For she was an generous in spirit as she was with her cinnamon sugar glaze, constantly rebutting the lack of sweetness in this world."

Carter paused and glanced to his siblings, noticing James who too had a few tears forming in his eyes.

"Her life was not short on challenges. And still she held no grudges. Believing instead that grave is perennial, like the green, green grass. Whatever Mary did she did fully, unwaveringly, with open arms. Whether it be raising her beloved son Elijah, welcoming her precious daughter, Delphine, into this world, or predominantly becoming a mother figure to James, Carter and Ellis Bennett, to whom she raised as her own, she lived life with both her hands. And when she left this world on April 6, 1899, her hands were held tightly by Sebastian, the love of her life. She was laid to rest in the place she called home. Avonlea."

Ellis tried her hardest not to cry. James glanced at Carter and motioned for him to leave Ellis alone for now. She needed time to recover. As did they all.

Carter folded the paper up and placed it in front of Ellis. He grabbed her hand and gave it three light squeezes.

"Shout if you need us Ellis."