9

"Oh come on Ellis

"Oh come on Ellis. You have to go to school." Carter practically begged her to go back to school.

"No Carter, you left, so why can't I?" Ellis raised her brow at her brother, as he followed her around the kitchen. She was making breakfast for Pops.

"I'll even walk you to school." Carter suggested

"No Carter." She said adamantly.

"Gilbert will be there?" Carter pointed out, running his hand through his dark brown hair.

"And?" Ellis stopped, making Carter nearly fall.

"And he'll-" Carter paused. He couldn't tell her about the promise Gilbert made to him, or she'd get mad and go on and on about how she doesn't need anybody's protection, let alone Gilbert's.

"There is nothing you or Gilbert Blythe can say to make me go back to that place Carter. So please. Leave it."

Carter placed the toast, jam and tea on the tray for Pops. Quickly, she carried the tray into the man. Pops looked worst and worst every day. He'd started to turn jaundice so his skin glistened yellow with the sweat that even talking produced on his face.

Pops' hands had become so frail and boney that she wasn't sure if he was even going to be strong enough to pick up his toast

"Tell her Pops." Carter said as he stood behind his sister. "Tell her she has to go to school."

"You have to go to school or you'll end up like your mother, stupid and useless."

Pops hated Carla Bennett for one reason, and one reason only, she tried to convince Thomas not to join the army.

"She wasn't stupi-"

"Get to school." Pops shouted. He slowly turned to look at Carter. "You boy, you take her." Carter nodded his head rapidly.

~

"You know, I hate you." Ellis said as she kicked the pebbles as she was walking.

"What?" Carter questioned shocked and hurt.

"Well I don't actually. But I'm mad at you." Ellis looked up to her older brother. She hated being so small. "I didn't want to go back Carter. They all make fun of me for being stupid and stuttering."

Carter placed his hand on his sisters shoulder and stopped her from walking, he pulled her back to pause her in her place.

"You're not stupid Ellis Carla." He offered her a comforting smile. "And if anyone gives you any trouble." Carter paused as he flexed his muscles playfully. "I'll kill them all."

"Don't worry." Ellis smiled sweetly. "I won't need you." She continued as she turned on her heels and walked off.

~

Ellis let out a deep sigh as she entered the school. Everyone turned to look at her, including Mr Phillips who had stopped talking.

His attention went further than Ellis, to her older brother, who should still be in his class. Carter was meant to be in Prissy's year.

"Go." Carter whispered, lightly pushing her in. Ellis turned around and slammed the door in his face. She heard Carter chuckle before walking off.

Gilbert got out of his seat and went over to the brunette.

"Are you okay?" He questioned. Ellis nodded. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure Gilbert."

"Remember one hundred and twenty one, one hundred and forty four and one hundred and sixty nine." Gilbert gave her bicep a light squeeze before returning to his seat. It was random to say the least but she did as he told her.

Ellis repeated the numbers over and over in her head.

One hundred and twenty one.

One hundred and forty four.

One hundred and sixty nine.

Surely he told her them for a reason.

"Miss Bennett." Mr Phillips flared at her. "I asked you a question." Ellis looked around the class. "Eleven times eleven."

Ellis glances a Gilbert who gave her a reassuring nod.

"One hundred and twenty one?" Ellis said questioningly but Gilbert couldn't help but smile.

"Surprisingly, you are correct." Mr Phillips and the rest of the class were shocked. "Let's see how long your luck lasts. Twelve times twelve."

"One hundred and forty four." Ellis replied quickly.

"Thirteen times thirteen."

"One hundred and sixty nine." She smiled in satisfaction, her eyes flickered to Gilbert who sent her a quick wink.

"Cheater." Billy mumbled under his breath.

"Shut up Billy." Gilbert said looking at the blonde boy.

Slowly, Ellis turned to face Billy with a blank look. His words had no affect on her, not anymore.

She just simply did not care.