21

The black eyes and fat lips were getting worse

The black eyes and fat lips were getting worse. Every time Ellis or Carter brought Pops food or tea, there would always be something wrong with it, resulting in them getting beaten. Ellis had scars on her arms from when Pops threw the cups at her.

Pops was getting weaker and weaker by the day, he knew that. Ellis and Carter knew that. He hated being so stationary. He hated that he couldn't do anything for himself.

"P-Pop's. I brought y-you some tea, and your me-medicine." Ellis stuttered as she walked in, the tray in her hand shaking.

"For God sake girl, stop stuttering!" Pops shouted making Ellis flinch. She placed the tray on Pop's knee. Pops took this chance to smack Ellis across the face, leaving yet another red mark.

She had two black eyes, a bust lip and now a red hand mark on her cheek. Ellis didn't go out anymore so it never brought any attention to anyone.

Carter on the other hand, he went out to fetch Pop's medicine or food for Ellis, Pops and himself. So he didn't have as many visible bruises as Ellis.

~

It wasn't a surprise when he died and for some reason as bad as it sounded the pair, Carter and Ellis, were relieved when they found his pulse to be flat and his skin to be cold to touch.

"We are gathered here today in memory of General William Bennett." The minister said. Ellis didn't take her eyes off of the Minister.

Very few people showed to his funeral, only the Barry's, the Cuthbert's and her brothers. Her brothers all came home for the funeral.

"General Bennett was a soldier during the war of 1812 and many other battles. He was a fighter up until his last days." Ellis scoffed at the Ministers words earning a glare from Ernest.

Ellis rolled her eyes and walked over to Carter. He was the only one who didn't leave her, even if it was for his own selfish reasons.

"General Bennett's eldest grandson has a few words that he would like to share." The minister looked to Ernest and he nodded, heading to stand next to Pops' grave.

Ernest wore his army uniform, with numerous medals attached to it. His dark brown, almost black hair was covered by the cap and his brown eyes were full with sorrow.

"Pops wasn't the easiest man to get along with that's for sure." Ernie chuckled. "When my Mother died fourteen years ago," Ellis looked at Carter, who wrapped his arm around her.

"And my Father was still fighting in the army, so Pops took us in. He raised us all, my sister a new born, the twins only two, Reuben was three, Patrick was five and I was only nine, so it wasn't as if he had it easy." Ernie laughed again. "But you still did an amazing job Pops. You're a great man, Pops, I know you know that." Ernest smiled as if addressing him even beyond the grave.

Ellis looked up to Carter, who clenched his jaw to prevent himself from getting angry. He hated losing his temper and he rarely did. But their Pops didn't do an amazing job. He beat all of them from a young age. He made them join the army, they didn't really have much of a choice.

He wasn't a great man.

"Thank you all for coming, there are refreshments in the house, please help yourselves, you are more than welcome to stay." Franklin spoke once Ernest had finished. Franklin held his hat in his hand showing off his straight brown hair. His blue eyes were filled with fake tears. None of them really cared for William Bennett, but he was still their family. "My siblings and I will join you all shortly."

Ernest didn't look impressed in the slightest as he snapped,

"Ellis Carla." He crossed his arms and walked over to her angrily.

James stood in front of his younger sister protectively. He came home and all he was bothered about what the bruises on Ellis and Carters faces. James cowered over Ernest. He was considerably taller than him.

James remembered when Pops used to beat him, which is the main reason that he joined the army a year early, to escape it.

Hell, it seemed like James was the only one who did remember.

"What was that?"

"Leave her alone Ernie." James seethed stepping forward to puff his chest. James knew that Ernest, although years older than him, would not win in a fight. Everyone knew that James was the strongest.

"She scoffed James. At his funeral." Patrick pointed out, supporting his older brother. Patrick ruffled up his straight brown hair after taking of his cap. Of course, it was the older ones against the younger ones.

"You don't know what it was like!" Ellis shouted, she pushed James out her way to face her older brothers. "Every single God damn day!" Her bottom lip quivered. She clenched her fists to prevent herself from crying.

"We got hit too Ellie, don't you forget that." Ernie pointed out.

"He got worst. You left six years go." Ellis ran her hand through her hair.

All her brothers watching her. She had split knuckles. She then turned her attention to Franklin.

"You left four years ago." She faced Patrick next. "You left two years ago and you two." She looked at Reuben and James. "You left last year."

Reuben was the black sheep of the family. He had curly brown hair and brown eyes, which was similar to his siblings. However, he had a baby face, he looked as if he was the youngest. Because of this he nearly wasn't accepted into the army. James too had brown eyes and wavy brown hair, although a year younger than Reuben he looked much older.

She paused after glaring at every single one of her brothers.

"He got worst. And not one of you experienced it." She glared at Ernest. "So you can go up there and speak about how he was a great man." She chuckled. "When he was anything but." He glanced at Ernie who looked shocked. "But you continue to believe what you believe Ernie." She tapped his chest and walked away.

"Ellis Carla Bennett! This conversation is not over!" Ernest shouted angrily, he grabbed her wrist and made her face him. "None of us liked the man, but it's his funeral, show a little empathy. He might not have been the best, but he brought us up, and for that you should be grateful."

Ellis looked at the now eldest Bennett with no emotion on her face.

"Well I'm not." She pulled her wrist out of his grip and walked into the house.