23

"Bash do you  wanna talk about it?" Gilbert questioned as he sat in his hammock

"Bash do you  wanna talk about it?" Gilbert questioned as he sat in his hammock. Bash had just seen his mother again for the first time in a long time, and she didn't pay him any attention. "Bash. I know you're not asleep. You're eyes are open." He chuckled. "Sebastian."

"Your born name is Sebastian? Sounds like you should own this boat." One man said. "And here I thought Bash meant you like to rough a feller up. Good to know."

"You have ruined my reputation. I could hit you two tap myself." Bash threatened.

"There was this girl back in Avonlea." Gilbert smiled just as the thought of her. "Ellis. We didn't always see eye to eye."

Gilbert chuckled remembering when she said that herself and he interrupted and said that's because she was so short.

"She once ran into a fire and I remember being so scared that I'd lose her forever." Gilbert paused. "Wonder if I'll ever see her again." Gilbert thought about the letter he wrote to Carter and how he was yet to receive a reply.

"How long you plannin' to stay in this ship?" Bash questioned. Over the time that Gilbert had been on this ship, Bash had taken him under his wing.

"I don't know. I want to go wherever the spirit moves me. Thats what my dad used to say." Gilbert smiled happily at the memory of his father.

"I feel like we'll be cracking coal forever, like them pistons in the engine, always going and going and going nowhere. I'm trapped here." Bash mumbled.

"I felt trapped in Avonlea. If I go back home, I may never be able to leave." Gilbert sighed.

"Boy, you call that a problem? So of us ain't have no home." The man from earlier spoke. Bash turned over, Gilbert took that as a sign that he didn't want to talk any more.

~

Gilbert opened his letter and hoped that it would be from Carter or Ellis.

"Hmm, fancy." Bash mumbled as he picked up the envelope. "So what'd it say?" Gilbert looked at the bottom of the letter.

Yours sincerely,
Anne Shirley Cuthbert.

Gilbert read over the letter. "There's gold in Avonlea?" He looked to Bash confused.

He laid awake all night think about Ellis. He didn't tell Bash, but Ellis' pops had died.

Anne had gone on to talk about how Ellis seemed perfectly fine, which was weird in Anne's eyes.

Gilbert wanted nothing more than to go back to Avonlea to hug Ellis.